Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #1 
24carat

Battling Popeye and Possible Other Issues

Hey everyone,

I posted pictures of my new bettas in the pic thread; however, I feel that asking about one of my fish's illness here would be more appropriate.

I got an EE half price because he had a bad case of cloudy eye / popeye. I didn't realize he was 'stuck' at the surface of the water until I came home.

Since he's new and I wasn't planning on getting him, I don't have a proper setup for him, so I'm floating his smallish tank in my heated 10 gallon so he can stay warm.

Edit* I am getting another heater and a 2 or 2.5 tank for him on my day off on Wednesday.

Housing-------------------
What size is your tank? N/A I'm not even sure how large it is. Bigger than his cup, maybe .5.
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Not this holding tank.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes. (The 10gal he's floating in, at least.)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food---------------------
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets.

How often do you feed your betta fish? He hasn't been eating. I've been crushing pellets in vain hopes that he'll take a bite.

Maintenance-------------
How often do you perform a water change? N/A for him. I'm planning on once or twice a day depending on what you guys tell me I need to do.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%-100% I'm not sure what he needs at the moment.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: NA
Nitrite: NA
Nitrate: NA
pH: NA
Hardness: NA
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment----------
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Well, as opposed to yesterday, he's no longer stuck at the surface so I'm assuming he's passed a bowel movement or he is no longer as stressed as he was in his Petco cup. When I did a water change today, there was a large poo in the water that was clear with some black dots in it. Not a red string like my other betta's poos.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?He's very sluggish and he looks like he's taking deep breaths. His gills are dark and stick out a bit from his head. Actually, his head looks strange in general. It's a bit deformed and kind of bumpy. You may be able to see it in the pics.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Bought him yesterday. The origional symptoms were:
  • Sluggish
  • Floating at the top, occasionally tilting on side before righting himself.
  • Heavy breathing.
  • One eye completely white. I could barely see his pupil moving under the cloudiness.
  • Bumping into walls.
  • Other eye cloudy / enormous.
  • Always tilted towards the side with the worst (completely white) eye.
  • No appetite.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, started him yesterday with Epsom salt per suggestion from a forum member. Since he's in such a small tank I did a little less than half a teaspoon. Went to just under a full teaspoon today.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No clue. I think his back is bent as well. May just have been a poorly bred fish, but I think he has potential if he can survive this bump in the road.

How old is your fish (approximately)? Not a clue.

As of today, he is no longer stuck at the top so any issue with swim bladder or bloatedness is resolved. However, now he's stuck at the bottom and occasionally I was afraid he was dead. He's more clamped today than yesterday, although I'm not sure if it just appears that way since he's hanging around the bottom of the tank.
The left eye looks a bit smaller and clearer.

I'm honestly not sure what all is wrong with him. It's got to be more than just Popeye.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by 24carat; 07-01-2013 at 09:41 PM.
24carat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #2 
24carat

----Yesterday----

In his cup, the bad eye.

Side flop moment.

Bad image, but you may be able to see the popeye here.

"Good" eye. It's bigger than the cloudy one.

Note* I took the stones out after beginning Epsom treatment. Now he's just in the empty tank because he's having enough trouble swimming as it is without ornaments.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #3 
24carat

----Today----

He is swimming around more today than yesterday, but he rests a lot on the bottom of the tank.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #4 
Nicci Lu

Popeye/cloudy eye is not a disease in itself, but rather a symptom of a larger internal bacterial infection. (Occasionally, it can be due to an injury, but in that case the problem would only manifest in one eye.) Because of this, when I deal with popeye, it's one of the few times that I don't mess around with conservative treatments- I go straight to meds.

The epsom you're using is good and will help with swelling. But I strongly suggest a good medication, as well. Kanaplex is the best, but can be hard to find. Maracyn Plus and Furan 2 are also good. As long as it's a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Once a day water change is fine for his half gallon. Twice a day would likely stress him. Use Prime as his conditioner to ensure that ammonia is neutralized.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #5 
24carat

Thanks, I'll hunt down any of those medicines you mentioned.

I'm having trouble deciding whether there is a fungus on his side or if it's just his coloration. It looks to be about in the same area on both sides though I'm not completely sure. It almost looks raised off his scales.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #6 
Narny105

Where did you get the epsom dosage from? It should be 1/4th tsp per 10 gallons, and for no longer than 8 days. Just keep in mind the epsom can cause anemia if dosed too high and prolonged, and that is not a situation that can be fixed.

I too would reach for a med (kanaplex is a much better option), providing he is in a state that you think he is strong enough to go through a treatment. With an already compromised fish, medications can just exasperate issues.
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #7 
Nicci Lu

Normal dosage for epsom salt treatment is 1-3 tsp per gallon- beginning at 1 and slowly increasing over a period of days to 3 if needed.

24carat- I don't see any fungus in the pics. Looks like normal coloration to me, but it might just be the angle of the shots.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #8 
Narny105

1-3 tsps per gallon is incredibly high
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #9 
24carat

Narny105- I appreciate your concern and suggestions. I've treated with Epsom salts before with much success and I researched it beforehand. You may have noticed that there many different dosage suggestions out there, some even ranging to 2tbsp per gallon.
I chose the dosage suggestion I saw most frequently, especially on this website, which was 1tsp per gallon without exceeding 10 days (some have said 14 but I've never had to continue treatment after 5 days or so). I realize salts are tough on a betta's organs and so I'm careful with my treatments and get second opinions beforehand.
The dosage I'm using is also suggested in a sticky here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

Nicci Lu- Thanks, it's still hard for me to tell. He's more active today and he's been eating and pooping like a normal betta now. Not as lethargic, though his eyes still look rough. Hopefully he'll perk up with the meds.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #10 
Narny105

Of course. It's your choice what you do- just expressing my concerns with the dosage.

Good luck with your fish!! :)