Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Dry pellets that I soak in a bit of his water before feeding
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I've changed it two times.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% the first time and I upgraded him to a new tank and added in about 50% water from his old tank.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Something called h20 water conditioner that came with his kit. it says it removes harmful chemicals like chlorine.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? only ammonia. I'll get a master kit when I go to the store.

Ammonia: 0.00 ppm
Nitrite: NA
Nitrate: NA
pH: NA
Hardness: NA
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His caudal fin is missing a chunk.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He doesn't want to eat much. But other than that he seems happy making lots of bubble nests.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night aside from what I though was a tiny hole when he was first brought home.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? NA
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. He came from Petsmart.

To make a long story short, I live in someone else's house and they recently brought home a betta. I'm trying to take care of it for them bc if I don't, I know it won't make it. I've never had a fish so over the last week I've been reading about care and have upgraded him to a 2.5 gal from a 1 gal. I wanted to get him a larger one later to do proper cycle preparations.

I believe he has fin rot or has bit his tail. When he got here I noticed a small hole in his fin and after a week I noticed last night that a chunk of fin is missing. It had a few stringy pieces that look separated left hanging behind. They were gone this morning.

I'm stuck on how to treat him. There are a few different antibiotic medications and stress coat type water conditioners that I've seen. I'm not sure what to use. I plan to put him in a sick tank with whatever medication I end up with.

Thanks!
Attica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #2 
Narny105

Since you're unfiltered aim for twice weekly 50% water changes to keep the water clean

Medications should always be the last option, since throwing them in because they say they might work can actually worsen issues. It's not good for their organs, particularly kidneys to use medications whenever an issue arises :)

Could you please post some pictures when you can, then we can go from there :)

Since he is new, you can always expect some stress, and that can present itself in the form of fin nipping, but he may have a little infection going on; pics will help tell!
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #3 
darkangel

It might be tail biting if its missing over night and looks like a chunk. Here is a good blog post about tail biting.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #4 
Attica

Photos

This is him today
Name:  betta1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  78.2 KB

These two photos of him are from the first day.
Name:  betta2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  betta3.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  73.5 KB
Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #5 
Attica

He doesn't want to eat anything all day. He ate one small pellet this morning. I figure he should want more than that? He even rejected blood worm. He keeps acting like he's eating it but spits it back out.