Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #1 
Flapmon

Fin rot is not going away, signs of bloating.

I've recently posted about Prince my CT betta with the issue relating to his fin rot, I'm back again after 9 days of treatment and it honestly feels like there is no change .. I feel it's gotten worse but I'm the paranoid one with the broken fish. ;c

I've noticed he's also suffering from bloating and around his uh .. "poop hole" it sticks out further. I guess it's because he can see all of his food dropped in so he gobbles it down instead of searching for it, note: He's in a temperatured jar that's resting in his tank, his water is cleaned every 3 days and treated accordingly with tri-sulfa.

He's just getting more and more upset but it worries me that if I put him back into his tank? Cinderella's fins will start to disappear.

Yes, I pulled him from the water because he refused to co-operate so I could take a photo. <<

Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #2 
Narny105

I'm sorry you're having issues. What have you currently been treating with?

For now stop feeding, the bloating will have to be dealt with, but before anything happens, could you please also answer the required questions? Just so there is a fresh update of everything

Thanks!
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #3 
Flapmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny105 View Post
I'm sorry you're having issues. What have you currently been treating with?

For now stop feeding, the bloating will have to be dealt with, but before anything happens, could you please also answer the required questions? Just so there is a fresh update of everything

Thanks!

"He's in a temperatured jar that's resting in his tank, his water is cleaned every 3 days and treated accordingly with tri-sulfa."
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #4 
Narny105

Questions as per here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Secondly, has he been in tri-sulfa for 9 days? That medication is highly unnecessary and will not be helping. If you are still dosing, I suggest you stop and remove it.

Why is he floating in a jar? changing every 3 days is not suffice to maintain water quality. If it is only him in the tank, give him that swimming space. It will be much easier to maintain water quality.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #5 
Flapmon

Quote:
Questions as per here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Secondly, has he been in tri-sulfa for 9 days? That medication is highly unnecessary and will not be helping. If you are still dosing, I suggest you stop and remove it.

Why is he floating in a jar? changing every 3 days is not suffice to maintain water quality. If it is only him in the tank, give him that swimming space. It will be much easier to maintain water quality.
It's necessary since salt didn't work.

He's floating in a jar because I don't want Cinderella getting fin rot, nor do I want tri-sulfa to be in my filter since it kills the bacteria. It's easy to maintain the water quality as is, it's easier to keep an eye on him like he is now as well. I'm looking to see if it is fin rot, his tail hasn't melted/fallen away it's just kept the black colouring. He feeds, obviously since he's so bloated and acts completely normal.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #6 
Flapmon

What size is your tank? Irrelevant.
What temperature is your tank? 27 degrees celcius
Does your tank have a filter? The tank does.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Obviously
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Zero.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, they're crushed since it's easier for them to feed.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day or just in the mornings.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly, they're filtered.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Not by much.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? pH up, water conditioner and plant feeder.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:--
Nitrite:--
Nitrate:--
pH: Average.
Hardness:--
Alkalinity: --

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated, black in his tendrils.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's glaring at me.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? More then a week ago when I had him flare.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? At first it was salt now it's tri-sulfa which was recommended by another betta lover.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had a mild case of pop eye when he used to live in a bowl
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 and a half, maybe 2.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #7 
Narny105

What I mean, is that tri-sulfa is not going to be very effective against obligate aenerobic bacteria, which are mostly the ones we have infecting wounds on fins.

water changes in a container every 3 days is not going to maintain water quality. Pathogens still reside in water, and the purpose of QTing is to prevent other fish getting ill, and to maintain a very clean environment effective for treatment/healing.

I've gone through your other threads, and from the pictures he does not look like he has fin rot. If salt and clean water did not work, he most likely doesn't have rot. The black colouring is not a sound indication of fin rot since damaged and healing fins can develop black pigment changes, and is quite common in darker coloured bettas.

He just looks like a fin nipper, and it takes only a few seconds to a minute to cause a lot of damage. Fin nipping is quite common; moreso than fin rot, and is often due to boredom, stress, over stimulation, environmental issues etc. Medications and QTing can just exasperate nipping issues, which is probably why you are not seeing any progress with the medication

Make sure the parameters are all good, temperature is around 26C and the tank is nicely planted. If you post some tank pictures there might be some suggestions we can make to help you?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #8 
Flapmon

Quote:
What I mean, is that tri-sulfa is not going to be very effective against obligate aenerobic bacteria, which are mostly the ones we have infecting wounds on fins.

water changes in a container every 3 days is not going to maintain water quality. Pathogens still reside in water, and the purpose of QTing is to prevent other fish getting ill, and to maintain a very clean environment effective for treatment/healing.

I've gone through your other threads, and from the pictures he does not look like he has fin rot. If salt and clean water did not work, he most likely doesn't have rot. The black colouring is not a sound indication of fin rot since damaged and healing fins can develop black pigment changes, and is quite common in darker coloured bettas.

He just looks like a fin nipper, and it takes only a few seconds to a minute to cause a lot of damage. Fin nipping is quite common; moreso than fin rot, and is often due to boredom, stress, over stimulation, environmental issues etc. Medications and QTing can just exasperate nipping issues, which is probably why you are not seeing any progress with the medication

Make sure the parameters are all good, temperature is around 26C and the tank is nicely planted. If you post some tank pictures there might be some suggestions we can make to help you?

Please don't treat me as if I have no idea what I'm doing. I came here to ask for advice since it hasn't gone away and not to be judged on what treatments I feel work the best. I was told to use tri-sulfa for fin rot by a fellow betta lover who also worked at a pet store. He gets changed every 3 days to let the medication sink in and I will keep doing so until I find a better altnerative.

He shares his tank with another betta with a divider that has HOLES in it which is why I'm refusing to let him even go into his area as well as confining him so I'm not treating both of them at the same time. He never used to have this colouring and suddenly one day it appears? It seems pretty suss since his tendrils easily become damaged, curl and club. I'm guessing they started to heal and they're either slowly dying off or there is some type of fin rot which is where I will continue to treat it until the tri-sulfa days are over.

I don't feel the need to have my tank judged. I'm asking about my betta's tendrils, not his silk plants.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #9 
Flapmon

Although after this cycle of tri-sulfa is complete I will give him a few water changes to get it out of his system before I try my own method of aquarium salt and stress coat.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #10 
Narny105

I'm not treating you as if you don't know anything, and I don't see where you are getting that idea from- I am right here using my own time to help you, and nothing more. If you want help, and the treatment is not what is needed, I will say so in the best interests of helping you and your pet. Again, I don't think the tri sulfa will do any good.

I mentioned tank set up because stress (can be caused by flaring) and boredom is a cause of fin nipping, and there may be things you can do to help reduce stress and boredom. Ultimately his stress/boredom, or some other factor affects his tendrils.

Again, pigmentation change can occur with damage, and is not necessarily a definite way of diagnosing rot. Nipping can lead to infection, but honestly clean water and rock salt at a 0.1% solution is enough to sort that out.

Throwing him around with different methods and treatments is not going to help him.

What was the previous salt method you tried and for how long?