Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, a small/med hydro sponge
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 other betta females

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bio Gold pellets and Tetra Bettamin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week to once every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquarel Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 2.00 ppm
Nitrite: NA
Nitrate: NA
pH: NA (left it at a friend's house )
Hardness: hard apparently...My test kit never gets to the turning point, though when I dilute it in tap, it does. It is an old kit too
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Anal fin losing pieces every night
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Only recently sluggish and staying at surface
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week ago I thought she was losing fin to another fish nipping it. Three days ago I noticed the edge of the damaged fin was gray.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, with Lifeguard bacterial medicine and Pimafix fungal medicine.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? NA
How old is your fish (approximately)? at least 14 weeks I think, probably older

Thanks for taking a look at my fish! I think she has fin rot, but I don't know how aggressive it is. The pictures are consecutive as she's losing fin and she would lose about a fourth of the fin at a time. It's just the anal fin too.

Also, I know water changes are important with aggressive fin rot, but I was wondering if I should dose as normal, or bring the doses back up to what they would be if I didn't do water changes.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

KTBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #2 
KTBetta

I forgot to say that I love that I needed to answer the water parameters sticky! It made me realize I need to get up and change their water! After I did, she started swimming around more.

Also, she's quarantined inside the 10 gal, but there shouldn't be any water exchange btwn the fish.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #3 
darkangel

is she in a sorority? it looks like someone has been biting her fins, the edges look pretty clean so its probably not finrot.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #4 
Narny105

No, that is not fin rot- she is most likely being nipped or nipping, but 2ppm of ammonia is enough to cause concern- that is very high.

Remove the medications; they are completely unnecessary, and you should not be dosing at the first signs of fins being a little messed up.

Fin rot itself is most often a symptom of something else, and may even rule down to water quality, nipped fins getting infected, parasites, etc. But as it's been said, this does not look like rot at all. For most cases of bacterial fin rot which is often a result of infected wounds caused by tearing and nipping, water changes and sometimes a little rock salt is all that is needed to solve the issue- medications should always be last resort.

The greying of the fins is most likely a result of healing, and it's common for dark blue bettas to even get slight darkening which is just a natural pigment change as a result of healing.

The ammonia needs to be completely removed, and you can do so with several water changes.
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #5 
KTBetta

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you don't think it's fin rot :) Yah, I knew that was high ammonia. I just hadn't checked in a while, but that's no excuse, haha.

She is in a sorority. The fins only disappear at night and I never see anyone messing with her, so I don't know who's the culprit. It's weird, she is usually the only one I see nipping at others.

Thanks again!