Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #1 
LittleDeer

Heater Wet Inside

I was putting in brand new heaters on my new critter keepers for my girls, and I accidentally dropped the heater into the tank. It's a hang on back heater so I don't think the top part should be in water. A little water got inside the glass tube do the parts inside got wet. I tried to get as much water out as I could, but its still damp inside. I know heaters can condensate inside which means dampness inside, but I don't know if its going to be a problem or not. Will the inside dry out if I leave it out of the tank for a while? Will the inside parts be damaged?

I don't know what to do. It's a brand new heater and I can't afford a replacement, and I don't want to kill my fish if it decides to flip out.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What did the packaging say about the heater? Fully submersible or not? You could leave it sit out for a few days & see if it dries out & them try it out in a bucket or something to see if it still works. If the packaging said fully submersible & there's water inside it then its defective, I'd take it back for an exchange. You could also call the manufacturer & ask them about it. I have an Aqueon I had a concern about, called the 1-800 # & they answered my questions putting my mind at ease. A lot of aquarium equipment have warranties, some are lifetime so don't be shy about calling the manufacturer & asking questions.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #3 
LittleDeer

It's doesn't say submersible. Like I said, I accidentally dropped it into the water. It has one of those screw on clamps at the top to attach to the rim of the tank. I guess for now I'll see if it will dry out and try it in a few days.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Hmm, I've never seen one like that, all of mine have suction cups that attach it to the tank wall & none have a screw on top, not even the ones that aren't fully submersible. I think I would call the manufacturer out of curiosity.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #5 
LittleDeer

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005VQ...dir_mdp_mobile

^thats how mine attach. All of my heaters attach like that, even my old ones.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I have a heater like that and I had a similar issue. I ran it on the tank and monitored the temperature carefully, it still worked and eventually dried out.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #7 
LittleDeer

Thank you, Matt, that's good to know. I'd love to avoid having to buy another new one but I don't want one of my girls to get killed by it either.