Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #1 
Nataku

Cool Quarantine Time? How long?

So the betta-bug bit me today whilst I was at PetSmart getting a new cleaning tube (my old one was ancient, and had finally cracked) and I saw a gorgeous black halfmoon. Well, they had him labeled as a halfmoon, I think he's more of a super delta because I don't think he can open his tail a full 180 degrees, but anyhow, I just had to have him.
He's home now and in my quarantine jar (1 gallon in size) acclimating to my water standards and all that fun stuff now, and I want to observe him to make sure his stool is the proper color and that he doesn't have any other little 'friends' that came home with him before he goes in my 10 gallon divided tank. But how long do you normally quarantine a betta for observation after bringing them home? A day? Three days? A week? More?

I want to post some pictures of him, but it will have to wait until he settles down a bit more. He's swimming circles around the jar right now and won't hold still long enough for a picture. But I guess that's okay, he actually has room for his fins now as opposed to that little cup he came in - I measured it after he'd been transferred over to quarantine, and he'd been living in less than a cup of water.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #2 
Kim

I QT for two weeks usually. Some people say 1 week, some say a month, I'm kind of in the middle.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

He sounds beautiful! Good luck with him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #4 
Nataku

Ah he's finally settled down a bit more, still doing circles around the tank, but at least not at rocket speed anymore, and he has been stopping to rest, and eat. Picture time!

He's really quite the looker. When you shine a bright light on him you can see he's also got a nice green shine on his head and across his back before his dorsal fin that's in the shape of a saddle.

I still haven't figured out a name for him, can't just keep saying 'the betta' anymore since I have two now. xD;
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #5 
Kim

Awww...what a handsome fish!! :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Pretty fish!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #7 
Nataku

^_^ Thanks, I think he's going to grow up to be even prettier, as he's still only maybe half the body length of my other (rescue) betta right now, so I'm betting he's still got some growing to do.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #8 
veganchick

he is really pretty! I would say 1 week in qt for bettas
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #9 
xRainfallx

Quite a looker! I would QT for two weeks.
xRainfallx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quarantine, time