Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #11 
Haleigh

UPDATE: Tomorrow will mark my one week anniversary with Agrippa, and it will also be his eighth full day on a salt water treatment. His fins have improved nicely, but have a way to go. He is more active and has gained quite the appetite! I finally got him to eat yesterday. He ate four pellets; I was ecstatic. I fed him six this morning, and then four more late tonight. I know that's probably too much, but I was just so excited that he was eating. The pictures do not show it, but he has also gotten some great color.

In your opinion, should I keep him on his salt water treatment, or move him to his 2.5 gallon tank? I think he may need a few days; I just don't want him to get sick from over-salting.

Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #12 
BittyB

Is the red disappearing? If you dont want to do the 14 days of salting and just do the 7 then 4 days of rest then do another 7 days of salt?
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #13 
Haleigh

It is disappearing slowly. It used to look like bright red spots on each tail end. Then it faded, and now it looks like very light brown right at the edges of his tail. Also, I'm worried that he doesn't move around that much. He mostly just floats up at the top of his tank. I'm wondering if this is just because he's in a one gallon hospital tank and there isn't really much exploring to be done. He rarely swims to the bottom.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #14 
NeptunesMom

I just saw this and wanted to say he is beautiful! Congrats to your boy for finding you, and congrats to you for finding your boy.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #15 
Lucubration

Just wanted to say: that is one beautiful fish. It's great that you're caring for him. I hope he continues to heal and perks up!
Lucubration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Haleigh, I think you can stop the salt now and with just fresh clean water daily that's going to boost him the rest of the way there If you can do 100% daily or at least close to it, it will give him what he needs to heal up. Along with the Stress Coat conditioner of course.

Also his feeding schedule looks totally fine to me if he can keep that many pellets down then good for him! He needs the extra food to keep up his strength, just like when humans get sick. It's not that we need lots of food, but snacking all day longer is better to keep up strength and help fight off whatever it is we have (unless it's chronic, sorry lol) He's looking so much better now! Congrats hun!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #17 
Haleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
I just saw this and wanted to say he is beautiful! Congrats to your boy for finding you, and congrats to you for finding your boy.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucubration View Post
Just wanted to say: that is one beautiful fish. It's great that you're caring for him. I hope he continues to heal and perks up!
Thank you! I'll continue to post updates on his condition. He's turned out to be quite the cutie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Haleigh, I think you can stop the salt now and with just fresh clean water daily that's going to boost him the rest of the way there If you can do 100% daily or at least close to it, it will give him what he needs to heal up. Along with the Stress Coat conditioner of course.

Also his feeding schedule looks totally fine to me if he can keep that many pellets down then good for him! He needs the extra food to keep up his strength, just like when humans get sick. It's not that we need lots of food, but snacking all day longer is better to keep up strength and help fight off whatever it is we have (unless it's chronic, sorry lol) He's looking so much better now! Congrats hun!
Thanks for the information. I'll stop with the salt and just continue doing 100% water changes. I'll keep him in the hospital tank for now and switch him over to the 2.5 gallon when he's better. Thanks again for all the help/advice you've given me!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #18 
Haleigh

Unfortunately, Agrippa passed away today. I stopped the saltwater treatment and was just using clean water treated with Stress Coat. Agrippa was looking so good! I was planning on moving him into his new tank on Tuesday (everything has already been purchased). Recently, Agrippa has been swimming on his side and only floating at the top. He still acted healthy, so I just assumed it was quirk. I changed his water today, and I admit it was warmer than usual, but not by much at all. Right when I put him in he spazzed out (he did this everyday when I changed the water). Today was different though, he didn't stop spazzing out and died within a few minutes.

I don't know what it could have been. Yes, the water was slightly warmer, but only a tad. I wanted to use warmer water to help boost his healing fins. The water was treated with Stress Coat. He was not constipated beforehand. He was off the salt treatment for a few days, so I don't think that caused it.

I'm just really bummed. I was so proud of the improvements he was making! I was so ready to put him into his new tank and for him to finally live the life he deserved. After two months on a store shelf, he deserved a chance in a proper tank with all the bells and whistles. Agrippa was such a cutie, and I miss him already.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Awww I'm so sorry Haleigh that's always really tough when that happens

But he did get a good chance with you! You gave him the love and the treatment he needed to thrive, not just survive! You did really well with him and I hope maybe you can give another boy or girl the chance for the same life, a good life
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #20 
gbose

Lilnaugrim,

I'm sorry to be confusing, but I suggest you do away with the salt. I've heard it isn't so good for bettas. Just keep up with daily 50% water changes and he'll be fine!!

Good luck.

GBose
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote