Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #1 
Fluduffle1Kwelle

Arrow Water style change

So I got a betta and put hm in a really big pretzel jar while I search for a tank! He has about 2 gallons. His water is bottled 100 percent natural spring water. I am changing him to tap with dechlorinator this Friday. How do I ago about switching him over from bottled to tap that is dechlorinated? I want the best for my lil friend. He is only 2 days old!
Thank you
Fluduffle1Kwelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Acclimation! This is your friend ^_^

So to acclimate a fish to a new water chemistry you should;

Scoop out your Betta with a plastic cup (one that has never seen soap, soap is toxic to fish. So Red solo cups work great!)

Then dump out your old water or siphon out if you have a siphon. Replace the water but make sure it's about 78-80 degree's since that's what Betta's need. If you need help getting the temp just right, run a glass thermometer under the tap water when it's stable to get the right temp!

Fill up your tank, add your conditioner. Now let your boy float in his cup, in the new water, this let's him acclimate to the temp as well if it's different. (They really need heaters so I hope you can find one too if you don't have one) Then every 10-15 minutes add in 2-3 tablespoons of new tank water to his cup. Do this until the cup is full (provided it was half full before) or until you hit 30-45 minutes. Now your Betta is acclimated to the water chemistry AND the temp. You gently tilt the cup to let him out into the new water.

Each time you do a 100% water change you need to do those above steps because water chemistry can really change, even if it's from the same tap! So stay on the safe side and acclimate him. That's how I killed my first Betta >< so, always acclimate well and he'll be fine

I just want to ask though, do you have or plan on getting a heater? And how's the food situation going?

If you've ever got other questions, feel free to PM me ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #3 
Fluduffle1Kwelle

Thanks I just don't get the "new water in the cup" part. Idk about a heater yet I may get one his light keeps it warmer.... He has betta food so the food part is good :) we r searching for a new tank. I will keep you in mind! Please explain the water in the cup how do I switch that to new water?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So you scoop out your Betta with his old water, keep him aside for now. You go and refill your tank with new water from tap, use your conditioner.

If you filled the cup up all the way with water, pour out half of the water at least, you can cover the cup with your hand so that he doesn't jump out.

You don't necessarily have to float him. So now he's still in his cup with the old water from before, only filled half way now. Now you have new water in your tank, you used conditioner on it and that's all set. Now you take a Tablespoon of that new tank water and put it into his cup. So that now it mixes with his old water and he has new water. Keep putting 2-3 Tablespoons in every 10-15 minutes to his cup so that eventually it will fill up.

So because you are mixing old water with new water it makes it easier for him to get used to the new water. One the cup is filled up he's ready to go into the tank because he's acclimated to the tap water. Make sense?

What kind of Betta food is it? Sorry, just want to make sure you're on the right track is all not all foods are created equal. Look at the first three ingredients and tell me what they are. The things you want to watch out for are called Fillers, these consist of Wheats, Corns and other Soybean products and if those are in the first three ingredients the food isn't very good. The more fillers are in the first three ingredients the worse it is.

I highly recommend Omega One Betta Buffet pellets as they have no fillers in the first three ingredients and New Life Spectrum betta pellets or Small Fish formula which only has one filler in the first three but is a really good food
Old 07-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 
Fluduffle1Kwelle

I totally get it now thanks that's exactly what I was looking for!

Ingredients to Tetra BettaMin

Fish meal(am I feeding my fish fish!)
Dried yeast
Ground brown rice
Shrimp meal
Wheat gluten
Fish oil (?)
Brine Shrimp
Krill
And some long fancy words

If this isn't the best food I can't really buy another one cuz my dad isn't happy I have a fish and he is a money freak (even though its my money)
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I hear you bout the money thing, my dad's the same way. And yes, yes you are feeding your fish fish XD But Betta's are insectivores/carinvores by nature so that's fine. Well at least it's only two Fillers lol you can just upgrade when you run out, or "run out" lol, up to you of course. But just wanted to let you know about that

Yeah my dad was happy that I had gotten one fish...now I have 21 XD oh with 5 on the way >< whoops.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #7 
Fluduffle1Kwelle

Haha cool I have one and my dad WASNT so happy but he is weird so whatever it's my money. I will be getting dechlorinator on Friday and maybe another plant he only has one. Maybe I will get a small bottle of a second food. They say to have a wide selection of food because it's good for them!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes variety is great! it's like, would you rather eat broccoli at every meal or eat broccoli one day and mash potatoes the rest? haha Plants are great too, especially low light ones like Java Ferns and Anubias are my favorites

But yeah with food I feed my guys and gals mostly NSL pellets with NLS flakes at points and then switch in Omega One once or twice a week with two fasting days (because I'm not home) and sometimes my girls will join in the festivities of the bottom feeder wafers my cory's get on occasion
Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #9 
Fluduffle1Kwelle

Lol well thanks for the info! Just another question how did u get it to say my boys and 33 gallon sorority and stuff I only have one fish but still I like that!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You click on "User CP" (control panel) and look at the list on the left hand side after and click "Edit Signature" and go from there same with the avatar (my boy Rembrandt) click "Edit Avatar" and find a photo from your desktop

Tags
chlorine, tap water, water