Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #1 
TGIF

Question Stressed Girl.

So, I recently got a sorority in a 10 gallon tank (tank pre-set up, no problems with fish attacking each other. Just a little bit of run-in flaring and that's it). One girl has been acting stressed, but I'm not sure if it's sticky fin or just stress.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, never goes under 77 or higher than 79. Will have a heater in winterish months though (I live in FL, so I don't need the heater in the summer with the air conditioning on)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 other betta girls

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia: X
Nitrite:X
Nitrate:X
pH:X
Hardness:X
Alkalinity: X

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Slightly clamped fins sometimes, but swims around with fins open. Opens and closes fins, but for minutes at a time stays in a corner near the surface. Kinda floats a little?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? More legargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, since not sure if stress. Don't want to medicate if no need to...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm guessing 3-5 months? Bigger than most, but not big big. Got from a petstore.

Any help would be much valued :)
TGIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I suggest you get at least two more girls or three! What's happening most likely is that since you don't have a good amount of girls, the aggression between them isn't being spread out enough. So if you got more girls then your little one here wouldn't be picked on constantly.

Care looks good but I still suggest a heater. Even if you don't think it's needed, temps drop at night everywhere and the swing in temp fluctautions will cause much stress that is not needed. Get on that is adjustable if you can, here's a really good brand and cheap too: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368 the 50W would be great for a 10 gallon.

Also, do you have plants and decoration in the tank? I'd like to see a picture of both tank and the girls if you can

It's most likely stress for now but being stressed can lead to sick so I'm glad you asked now rather than later
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #3 
TGIF

I have a total of 4 in there, and the worst thing that happened was they just looked and flared at each other. Not one nipped fin, which I thought was odd. I really did want to get more than 4, but the LFS only had 3 others and they looked pretty bad off. I wish i could have taken them, but I don't have the room with 3 others in separate tanks :(
I think they are 2 sisters and 2 sisters. Anyways, here is their tank -
https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/41/wju1.jpg
Hopefully that will work...
I do know it is very sparse at the top, but they don't seem to mind. Tomorrow i'm going out to get things to have that go from top to bottom, to break it up.
Here are the girls too -
https://imageshack.com/scaled/large/707/lyif.jpg
*the 2 ones with dark blue look a bit bloated to me, or are they egg-bound? Or overfed?*
I do have a heater though, but the thing is I don't have any more outlets to plug it in right now too. I have the 2 already for the filter and the light... so we are getting an extension to the outlets. :)
Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #4 
TGIF

Just checked on them, and the blue is doing much better. Maybe just overwhelmed?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually you're girls don't look overfed/eggy/bloated at all! That's the way they should look. They look very healthy to me ^_^

And as far as QT'ing girls here's what I do:

I actually leave them in their cups that they came in (or put them in cups if they came in bags) I acclimate them to the tank water, so I take out half of their cup water if it's full and fill it over time with tank water. I usually do 2-3 tablespoons every 10 minutes or so until it's full. Empty out another half of the water into a bucket (the idea behind QT is to prevent disease from coming in so never empty their water into the tank) and then do the same, fill again with tank water.

I use their lids and let them float in the big tank. This not only allows for me to observe them but keeps them warm without having to use an extra heater or extra space. It also allows the girls to become acquainted with each other and have a better time when introducing them to the tank.

So now every day or every other day I grab and extra cup and put a little tank water in it. I empty the girl's water over a bucket and then I actually use my hands to move her but you can empty her into a net and then put her into that little cup of water. Rinse out her original cup and then refill with tank water and plop her back into. This means that you don't have to worry about getting the temp right since it's the same temp that she just came from and the water chemistry doesn't change.

So you can keep her in the cup no problem, don't worry it's not going to hurt her as if she were still in the store. In the store they don't get fed everyday and they don't get their water changed every other day either so it's a much healthier environment. And then after two weeks with no diseases I let the girl into the tank and they're usually totally fine with each other

But yes, I do suggest getting more cover, even if you don't have problems now, they can arise at any time. I see you said you were going to the LFS already which is good ^_^

I know they're a bit pricey but I really suggest using a Timer light strip which can be found at Petsmart or online. This means you don't have to remember to turn on and off your lights and it gives you more outlet space! I use the ZooMed one and it works great

And for your girl, yes it was most likely just stress and whatnot but keep an eye on her to see if she changes again

And if you want I can show you my girls/tank if you want to see healthy girls. I also have a full grown girl in there who's body almost reaches 2 inches so she's almost considered a Giant! Oh and your girls, if I couldn't see their ovaries (not ovipositer) then I totally would have said they were young boys! super long tails for girls And actually I'd bet that they are all sisters. I have 6 sisters and 3 sisters in my sorority along with 5 other's who aren't related. The 6 who are related don't really look much alike, you can get quite the variety in a spawn ^_^
Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #6 
mybabyjets

what type of fin type are they?
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyjets View Post
what type of fin type are they?
They are all Veiltail's or VT for short.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #8 
TGIF

Yep, all are VT's.
Thank you for all your help!
Yep, all are females. They have very prominent egg spots, which I made sure of. Don't need any more boys 0.0
Yay! I did the acclimating right. I guess just all the space and no cup separating them made her insecure. I'll post updates soon.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually many young males also have egg spot's, they are imitator ovipositer so you can't be to certain with that. The only sure way to know if it's a girl is to look for the ovaries which are triangular behind the stomach area which you can see on the white girl in that picture there.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #10 
TGIF

Oh! I never new that. I've only had bettas for almost a year.
So, the 2 blue girls have a very prominent stress stripe. They're all active and nothing wrong, just is that expected to have such a stress stripe? No color lost, just a 2 really dark lines. One even has breeding stripes and stress stripes (never lost them from the LFS)