Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #1 
Ange1seyes

Torn fin! What do I do?

Bubbles is in a 3 gal filtered, non-heated tank. Temp is 76* and has live plants and a cave to hide out in. I do water changes 2 times a week. He gets fed betta 3-4 betta pellets 2x day and gets fasted 1 day. 1 day a week for breakfast he gets a few bloodworms and 1 day he gets a couple brine shrimp (not live but frozen). Yesterday was his fasting day. Water is within all parameters.

This morning when I turned his light on to feed him he had a huge tear in his bottom fin. And the entire bottom fin looks shredded. I think he got caught at the intake for the filter. He ate breakfast just fine and doesn't seem to have much trouble swimming but his color wasn't very vibrant and he seemed rather tired so it may have just happened this morning.

I did a 1/3 water change. I added a little (1/2 tsp) of aquarium salt and also added some stress coat+ to his water. I am stopping to pick up a heater on my way home (tank has been at consistent 80* up until now).

In the picture you can see that the fin ripped all the way back to his body as there is a tiny spot you can see all the way through. I've circle the part you can see how far back the rip went. The bottom fin to the left of the circle is just shredded and looks like strings. I couldn't get a picture of him dropping it to show it.

This makes me sick as he was so beautiful before.

What do I do? Help please!
Attached Images

Ange1seyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You should not use the AQ salt for starters I see you have live plants in there and AQ salt and plants do not mix. But there's no use in putting in the salt since that doesn't actually heal fins, it only get's rid of fin rot and other external things.

But to heal up those fins you can continue using Stress Coat. Every other day do at least a 50% change to keep fin rot at bay and to add in Stress Coat. After his fins heal up you can go back to your twice a week water changes which is great ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #3 
Ange1seyes

Whew! Thanks!

Ok. Will not use any more AQ salt. Question on the Stress Coat+...I also have Stress Zyme+ is there a difference?

I already add the Stress Coat+ to my stored water. Do I need to add more to it once it is added to the tank?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Stress Coat is a water conditioner with aloe in it, Stress Zyme is a bacterial additive. basically it puts beneficial bacteria into the water as it conditions it too but no aloe in it.

Stress Coat should be used as a regular water conditioner, so just get water from the tap, and pour in double dose of Stress Coat as per the directions on the back and then pour into the water gently So no, you don't need to add more to the tank, there would be no point in that unless you didn't pour enough in the first go around.

You say "stored water" are you aging your water? If so, you don't need to if you use water conditioners. That's the beauty in water conditioners, it allows you to pour the water in right away **of course make sure it's the right temp first a trick if you need to; run the tap and hold a glass thermometer underneath the flow to get the right temp! usually 78-80 is best of course
Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #5 
Ange1seyes

Unhappy

Yes. I had been aging. I just wasn't sure how quickly the conditioners worked. I always felt better if it sat for a day.

Will follow the double dose directions. He seems worse tonight. Only ate 2 bloodworms and just resting on leaves or hanging at the top of the water at the back of the tank. Not interested at all in what is going on in the room. I have a bad feeling he will be floating in the morning.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh don't worry so much Betta's can actually survive a month without food if they need to, trust me I have first hand knowledge with that unfortunately though. My boy in my avatar, Rembrandt took a whole month to decide if he wanted to eat or not ><

So what kind of BW's are you feeding? Frozen or Freeze-dried?

Also that part where you circled looks like it's just the space between the anal fin and the tail fin...

And conditioner works right away! if it makes you feel better you can wait, but it works instantly so no need for waiting that's the beauty of it!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #7 
Ange1seyes

Frozen bloodworms. I thaw them first.

Well he doesn't have that split in my avatar pic of him. His colors have faded a lot. And he isn't active.

Tail fin looks ok and top fin looks ok too. Maybe it was there and his fins were just so full it wasn't obvious.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that's most likely the case ^_^ He does look very stressed in that picture there and yes his fins just aren't flared out as much is all so you can see the split between the two fins. Very normal and best shown by my two females here; Cherry on the left and Mystique on the right. Notice the gaps between the two fins, when they flare out the fins do touch but while they aren't flared, they look like this (yes just a chance to show off my girls haha)
Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #9 
Ange1seyes

They are beautiful! Ok. Well we will see how he is in the morning. I have kept his room dark tonight in hopes to minimize his stress.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's good, darkness does help And thank you, Mystique is my largest girl coming in just about 1.8 inches of just body.

But anyway if his bottom fin is still torn up you can still continue with the Stress Coat and I still recommend doing at least 50% water changes every other day or so, feel free to do them everyday but that's up to you of course. But the idea is to prevent fin rot so doing water changes helps that and new, clean water promotes fin growth as well