Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #11 
Ange1seyes

Well he did ok last night. His colors were a little better this morning. He tried to eat two pellets but spit them back out. He has never had trouble eating them before. I guess I could try shrimp or bloodworms tonight. His tank temp was up to 82* this morning.

I did a 50% water change this morning and added double dose of stress coat. I'm wondering if I should put him in a hospital tank with some salt though. In one side where he was blue, he is now red. I'm wondering if that was the side that was against the filter intake. He was hanging mainly at the top I the water acting almost like it was difficult to breathe. He would keep his mouth above the water for a couple of minutes.

I have covered his tank to keep it dark again today.
Ange1seyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It is also possible he can change colors if he's got the marble gene in him. I see in your avatar that he's got some nice deep red spots so I wouldn't be surprised if he changed He should stay in familiar surroundings though, there's no point in QT'ing him if there's really nothing wrong with him.

Has anything been changed in his tank the last two weeks? Any new decor or tank mates at all? Or change in diet, change of water conditioner, change in the tap water at all? Sometimes water can change depending on whether well or city water and if say a pipe bursts and you don't know about it, it can effect your fish in a bad way as well.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #13 
Ange1seyes

Well 2 water changes ago I turned his cave decoration around backwards. I noticed he didn't go in it much. Changed it back yesterday so it was only backwards for a couple of days. No tank mates and as far as I know, no change in tap water. Haven't heard of any water main breaks and we have been having quite a bit of rain so no one is really having to use a lot of water for lawns (that seems to be when the water company shoots a bunch of chlorine in the lines). Usually I can smell the chlorine when they decide to clean the lines.

I haven't had him quite 2 weeks yet so prior to this tank it was a small cup at a chain pet store.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, since you've only had him a short amount of time he could still be adjusting to his new surroundings. Often it takes them quite a while to really settle in.

My boy in my avatar, Remmy, he took a whole month to decide he wanted to eat and feel at home so don't worry, just keep his tank clean, offer food and he should be alright

Keeping the tank dark as you've been doing is good too, but he just might take a little more time to adjust and be happy again. In the mean time, just try to make him as comfy as you can, offer food when you can but if he eat's once a day that's great, if he doesn't then you can offer again some time later.

Also any reason the tank is at 82? Do you have an adjustable heater or is it just the warmth of summer?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #15 
Ange1seyes

I do have an adjustable heater. I had read to keep it on the warmer side while his fins were healing? Tank had been at steady 80* until the last few days when we had a cold front come through and tank dropped down to 76*. I was going to have to get a heater for the winter anyway. Do I not need to keep the tank that warm?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes it's good to keep it warm for healing fins, but 80 would be just fine. Higher temps actually invites bacterial infections to come in so if you can, put it back down to 78-80, in between that would be perfect. Higher temperatures just means that you're speeding up his metabolism so he's metabolizing his food faster and making his organs run faster which would help fin growth but it's really not needed. As long as you feed a healthy diet, keep the water clean and use Stress Coat, that's really all you need for regrowing fins
Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #17 
Ange1seyes

Also, he has been a really bold little guy up until yesterday morning and never seemed stressed during water changes. Actually he would come up to the siphon and look at it. He was always hanging at the front of the tank and interested in what is going on in the kitchen. I even had started working on teaching him to swim through a hoop. He has always eaten heartily from the first night. I took a loooong time acclimating him that first day and he has been so happy up until yesterday.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #18 
Ange1seyes

Will back off the heat once I get home this evening. Thanks for all your help!!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's fine, sometimes they're just so overwhelmed with a new place that they're happy to be in it and then suddenly they realize "wait....where am I?" lol, just something silly really.

But either way, yes lower the heat a bit and just keep watching him. Spend some times with him if you can, keep an eye out for anything that might ail him like white spots (ich) golden dust on him (velvet) or any bloating that doesn't seem normal. Also keep an eye out for his poop if you can to see if it's the normal orange/brown color and curly or solid ^_^
Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #20 
Ange1seyes

Well I started a new thread but thought I would update here as well.

He ate bloodworms last night and shrimp this morning for breakfast. When I got home last night the lower fun that was shredded had started tearing off. It was as if there was a perforated line right across it and it came off so straight. About 3/4 had come off last night and this morning the rest of it had come off.

Temp in tank is 78*. He actually came out and swam around a little this morning while I was doing his water change. And he actually swam to get the shrimp that were just out of reach. I think there must be something wrong with his pectoral fin on his left side but I can't ever get a good look because he always keeps that side turned away from me. But he kind of wobbles side to side when he swims

Today I only have one end of the tank covered and I have turned the blinds up in my kitchen so there is a little more light but not it's still pretty muted.

I took a picture of him this morning but can't figure out how to include it from my phone.