Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #1 
ever12

opinions wanted.

So after much thought I decided to try and breed my pair now. Both have been being conditioned for 2 weeks. Put the tank together put the male in, and the female in a cup. He made a nest the size of the styofoam cup it is under. Released the female and she is just ignoring him. Neither are showing any sign of aggression and have been together all night. I am thinking I will leave them together for a week and see if they do anything if not try again later. What do you all think?
ever12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #2 
KadenJames

Sometimes, it takes a few days for any spark to happen.
Sometimes, a spark might never happen.
Sometimes, a murder takes place when you're not looking!

An old trick I used to use on a lazy male is to place another rival male in a jar next to the spawning tank. This should agitate your breeding male's instincts into chasing the female around a bit, similar to in the wild. Kind of hits that "jealous" nerve ;)

What does your setup look like? Size tank? Water level? What foods did you feed them during conditioning? Is the tank in a high-traffic place? Is it covered with a towel? Do you have Indian Almond Leaves? Live plants?
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #3 
ever12

I have them in a 5 gallon plastic container. The temp is 82, with live plants. There is 2 gallons of water in the container right now. I conditioned with neo Betts pellets, frozen and live bloodworms, mosquito larvae, and brine shrimp. He is doing his part great. He built a huge nest, and tries to woo her by swimming to her looking all pretty and then swimming back to the nest. She is the one not doing anything.
ever12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #4 
KadenJames

It may take a while for her to get the guts to swim up to the male. If she remains sulking in the corner without paying him any mind for more than the next day or two, remove her and either recondition her or try a different combination of fish.

Sometimes it's the pair that doesn't click.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote