Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #1 
justmel

Do I have this right?

I have spent a lot of time doing research and studying on breeding bettas and next month should be getting my first breeding pair. I'm wondering if I understand NRs and breeding with them correctly though. First, the bettas I am looking at getting
  • A pretty blue female from a MG spawn. I won't call her a MG though, she is 98% solid blue, but a little yellow shows in her fins. Being as she has yellow & no red she would have a NR geno, correct?
  • Male is a lighter blue and has a little red wash in his caudal and anal fins. I want to work on removing this red.

What I am planning (& hoping I have correct) is to breed these two together. Most (if not all) of that first spawn will have a red wash.

For F2 I was going to pick the best boy from the spawn and breed him back to mama betta. F2 spawn I'm expecting mostly blue with red wash, but (hopefully) some blue with no red.

On F3 I was going to choose a female from F2 with no red wash and cross her back to her father. From here I'm a bit lost. I believe the majority of the spawn should be blue with no redwash, but I don't know if I should do any breeding back to previous generations or find new blood to mix in.

Please, any advice is welcome. I don't offend easily, so don't worry about that. I've done research and more research. Before I found this forum I spawned successfully once and managed to keep 16 out of 20 fry alive, but this is the first time I am trying with a goal in mind. I really want to know if the outline of my plan sounds like it is going to work, if there is anything I should do differently, or any other advice you can offer. Breeding bettas is going to be more of a hobby for me & I don't plan on actively showing any bettas, but I want to do this right.

Not the best pictures of these bettas, but here are the two bettas in question.
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #2 
Riverotter

Why would you ever breed back to the father? You'd be breeding his red wash back in, after working for 2 generations to breed it out.
Take a pair of F2's who both have what you want and breed them together for your F3.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #3 
justmel

I may have typed it up wrong, I am honestly to tired to figure out how I worded it wrong exactly, but no I wasn't going to bring the original male back into the mix. What I meant there was after the first spawn with this pair I would pick a male from that batch and breed him to the mother. From THAT spawn I was thinking I would pick a girl and breed back to dad of that spawn.

But if I get two from F2 like you mention I can pair them up. Thank you for pointing out my miswording. I probably sound like a fool saying I want to get rid of the red wash & then talking about breeding back to the one with red wash.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #4 
trilobite

If youre lucky red loss can show up in F1
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #5 
justmel

I'm hopeful trilobite, but knowing it's actually possible is great! Thank you for letting me know, it will be so much more fun & exciting watching them grow knowing there's even a small chance I can see results so soon.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #6 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
On F3 I was going to choose a female from F2 with no red wash and cross her back to her father. From here I'm a bit lost. I believe the majority of the spawn should be blue with no redwash, but I don't know if I should do any breeding back to previous generations or find new blood to mix in.
Riverotter, I read this as F2 female to F1 male. Not the original

F1 is first generation of the cross
F2 is the second
F3 is the third

You don't count the original breeding stock
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #7 
Riverotter

No, I probably misread it, sorry.

What I thought she had said at first is the textbook way to create 2 lines starting with one pair, which is why I thought that she thought she had to. Sorry for the misunderstanding
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #8 
Skyewillow

I can see where you read that, I was just clarifying
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #9 
Darth

The NR1 gene will clear up the red wash so breed to a sibling showing yellow the more the better I am a sucker for the blue and yellow types even the ones with a yellow wash and no clear separation.
The original MG was a green bodied fish with yellow fins so I am not sure why folks keep calling the blue and yellow MG.
I notice you didn't, I really love the blue colored female.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #10 
justmel

Thank you Darth. A lot of what I've learned has actually come from reading your posts. I noticed the original MGs were green & yellow and now people call blue & yellow MG as well. Honestly I didn't call this lady an MG because I felt she had to little yellow to qualify at all. I'd love some blue & yellows to come from this pairing, but being my first time with quality bettas I'm shooting for something a lot simpler. On the NR gene, just so I know I'm understanding correctly, an orange or yellow betta has the NR gene? If they did not than they would be red, right?

Riverotter, don't worry about the misunderstanding. If 1 person misunderstood a lot of other could have to & I'd rather clear up any of those misconceptions.

Skye, thank you for doing the work my tired brain wasn't up to doing and figuring out where the misunderstanding happen.