Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #1 
Kittiesdragons

VT to start?

I'm considering trying my hand at breeding bettas. I've been reading up on it for a while now and am always open to new suggestions and help! I don't have anything set up yet because I'm waiting until I a) get a little extra income, and b) my one male VT gets all better. He's got new growth to his fins so I believe the worst is past! But I want him back to his former glory before taking on any more fish. I was dabbling with the idea of starting just one spawning with a couple VT. Yes I know they are super super common but I would find homes for them before I ever even began breeding. I'd probably hit up my LFS and see if he'd be willing to take a majority of them. Plus getting a chance to share the gift of Betta with people who I know would take good care of them and I also getting a chance to teach people a little more than what the common fish store employee might teach them. I guess I'm just wondering if breeding VTs is even worth it? I personally think they are beautiful in their own right and deserve the same level of attention to their breeding and care as our fancier fin types. I want to eventually move on to more show quality breeding but for just getting my feet wet is it responsible to start with more common fare and move up as I get more experience? Any advice is welcome and I know we all just want what's best for our beautiful betta fish!
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

I would advice you is stay away from veiltails until you are solid on your breeding. Then go for it! Since you have to buy stock anyway go with a halfmoon and a solid breeding combination (something like steel blue+turquoise=royal blue). If you have soft water where you live you could do crowntails. My advice is to go with either solid colored fish or very marbled fish to give you the best chance at sell-able offspring.
You have a pm too :)
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 
Kittiesdragons

I had also thought of halfmoons too :)
Old 06-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
Skyewillow

There are a couple of people who are working on breeding showable veils, but they are so common that a lot of people don't want to bother with them, and there's a lot of work to get them from the petstore, to a lineage that would be proudly displayed on a show table.

I agree with Ilikebutterflies that if you're not breeding for more than pets, it would be easier on you to rehome them later, if they're something higher in demand than VT.

Halfmoons would be really neat, they seem to be very popular. Best of luck!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #5 
Kittiesdragons

Ok well for the sake of what I want to do. Breed sellable pets in nice colorings that might be a little harder to find. What should I be looking for. I'm not quite ready for show quality bettas yet. I'd like to have some very nice fish but they don't have to be super fancy. I'd like to see if I can get some nice coloring though for not too expensive. Halfmoons are really nice. Do they do alright in hard water? Or will I need water softener. Our city water sucks but I can't afford to use RO or bottled Spring at the moment.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #6 
Skyewillow

they should already be acclimated to your local water if you buy from a store. If not, acclimate them to your water. If you try to change the chemistry too much, it'll bounce back, and your fish will go into shock.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #7 
Myates

Halfmoons don't need any special water than what you have..

You breed what you want. There are still many wonderful breeders out there breeding VTs, and some that are working on some new lines for them. So breed the fish you fall for first until you get a better feel of things, etc and then you can expand. But overall, HM care is not any different than VT care. It's all about what YOU like and prefer.. after all, you're the one spending hundreds on the set up and hours each day cleaning them :)

With water conditioner, your tap water will be fine.. the conditioner should remove ammonia, metals, chlorine, etc.. all the harmful things, but most important it leaves all the necessary minerals in the water that is needed that softeners and bottled water removes. Tap water is generally more ideal than bottled/spring water by far. It's safe for you to drink, safe for them to be in with the water conditioner.. no worries.

Last edited by Myates; 06-29-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+1 Myates

Just want to add - if you do go the HM way, look at as many "show" betta pictures as you can find before you buy new HM. Then buy a pair of HM as close to that criteria as possible. If there is a LFS that sells imports, try looking there. There will always be a good specimen - not perfect, but good enough to start a line. Remember, regardless where you buy your starter stock, you will unlikely get that perfect betta, specially females. You will have to work your way to show quality.

That way, once you get the hang of everything and are ready to breed for show, you wont have to start over. Just get new "show" genes and breed them to your line. . . . less bettas to rehome.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #9 
Kittiesdragons

That is a very good point about the adding in stock to produce better bettas without having to start all over. I would hate to invested so much time and money into my stock only to have to start all over anew!