Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #1 
MADxMAC771

new betta and my combo tank

I had been planning for a while to put my Red VT Paulie into a ten gallon with some tank mates to get him out of his 2.5. The other day at walmart, however, I made my reoutine check though the fish isle and saw them COMPLETELY overstocked on bettas. I decided I had to take atleast one before they all died their destined walmart death. After seeing what dividers they had available at the local Petsmart, I decided to make one. I am using a flexible cutting board that I got from walmart for 2 dollars cut to shape to split my 10 gallon into two 5 gallon compartments. Each side has its own filter and heater, considering the partition is solid with no ventilation holes. Does anyone know of any good, quality solid partitions for a situation like this? I have seen alot of splitters available but they are all clear or have alot of holes in them, leaving the bettas to do nothing but flare at eachother all day through the fence. I need a solid, non translucent partition. It needs to be both impassible and not see through. Any ideas?

On another note. I have never heard anyone talk about a betta's sense of smell. Can these two betas in this tank smell eachother? I know that many fish have a sense of smell but I was unaware what level of smell sense bettas have.
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #2 
Nataku

I personally have had a 10 gallon with a home made divider in it, but it was made of plastic mesh which had holes and the bettas could see through it (although the holes were too small for them to nip each other). The bettas grew tired of flaring at each other after the first two days and then went on about their normal business - although I believe their new form of challenging each other was to build their bubblenests right up against the partition, they never did grow out of that. Just provide them with plenty of cover and decorations so they can go sit out of the other bettas sight for a while if they want, and they should be fine.

As for a solid , no holes, no see-through material to make a divider out of? I suppose perhaps you could try finding one of those hard plastic cutting boards like you'd have in a kitchen, and then taking a power saw to one to cut it down to the right dimensions. I can't think of much else that would really be appropriate that also isn't see through. Plexiglass is see through, so is normal glass, which are the two things I most commonly hear of being used when solid partitions for tanks are made.

I really have no idea how good a betta's sense of smell is, I've never found any material about it. I mean, they have noses, or at least nostrils, so I would assume there is at least a rudimentary smelling sense, but no idea if they can smell out the pheramones of another male betta in neightboring water. I don't even know if bettas release pheramones really. I kind of always figured they were much more visual-oriented fish, being as how they make such a big fuss over displaying fins and posturing.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Its like your bettas were having a contest to see who could build the biggest and best bubblenest. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #4 
Nataku

Indeed, I rather think that's exactly what they were doing! xD Apparently neither one of them could ever decide who was the bigger badder betta when they flared at each other, so they gave up on that and instead were trying to claim territory with bubblenests. It was pretty comical.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I guess they want to prove who is more macho. lol
Old 03-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #6 
Nataku

Because blowing bubbles at each other is simply the most macho thing in the world xD
Old 03-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

For male bettas, yes! lol I guess they're thinking, if I can't beat the daylights out of you then I'm going to build a bigger nest than you. lol
Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #8 
ThalesthePearsei

I dont know how well a betta can smell but....my betta can smell out an algae wafer (not intended for him) in the complete darkness of night, even when I hide the wafer deep in the middle of a plant. If i don't catch him in the act you can always tell in the morning by the way his belly looks So I have had crush the algae wafers into tiny pieces and feed them very sparingly.
ThalesthePearsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

If the wafers sink, that would help because most bettas don't like to chase sinking food. At least in my experience.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #10 
ThalesthePearsei

Yeah they sink, but my betta dosent care where the food is....hes goes wherever the food is and he will guard it too
ThalesthePearsei is offline   Reply With Quote