Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #1 
TheCassinator

Absolutely Disgusting (Wal Mart)

I was at Wal Mart last night and came across the "Pet Centre" there where I saw the group of bettas that they had. It was an absolutely disgusting sight to see. Their water was almost purely brown, the fish were close to dead and wouldn't move at all. They looked really sick and all I could think that this is definitely a form of animal cruelty.

All I can say is, big stores like Wal Mart (whom I just can't stand for a variety of other reasons) should NOT try to be "useful" with anything a human possibly needs. Now the fish have to suffer from mass corporations. Lets hope they don't ever get dogs, cats or birds.
TheCassinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #2 
fishyinpa

I agree. At my walmart, the fish are just about always dead. No workers care of course. The petstores arent much better though. I got my fish at petsmart,although half of the other bettas in those tiny cups looked dead. I also went to petco and they only had a few betta cups but they were all dead if not close to death. Thats just horrible how they keep them in those tiny cups and just leave em there till someone buys em or they die. There should be some kinda betta cruelty group or something who can change how they are treated. But alas that probably wont ever happen. Im sorry you had to see that,and it disgusts me too.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #3 
NMrayn

As a former Wal MArt working i do agree, tho my store was different we had someone who CARED as our dept manger. If the wish looked dead or close to dying he would try to make them better, adn he did change the water for the bettas. On the other hand i ahve been to other stores the just didnt care, and i have wrote to wal mart about it, thats something u can do also, eather email them or call 1-800-walmart and complain they might do something about it.
NMrayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #4 
veganchick

I once went into walmart to find that there were 2 MALE bettas 2gether in a cup!!! The both had very bad finrot, and I had only a 5 gallon tank at home, but I took them both home, and they lived 2gether for 5 years!!! I know I should have seporated them, but the got along really well sooooo it all worked out, but anyway walmart is TERRIBLE to fishies!!!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know why Walmart even HAS to have a fish department since they don't take care of their fish. My Petsmart does a good job of taking care of their fish. I'd like to get a job there in their fish department and put all the things I have learned on this forum to good use! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #6 
bxtorr19

My nephew works at Petco and he spends a lot of time cleaning and careing for the Bettas. However, at his last store he turned in upper management because they would not care for the small aminals and fish properly. He even called the ASPCA and had the store closed down. People need to be a little more proactive.
bxtorr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #7 
MADxMAC771

walmart is disgusting. Everytime i go i go by the pet section just to look around (tanks on sale or whatnot). Atleast 50% of their bettas are dead or dying on a daily basis. As for the other fish in filtered tanks... its not much better. I have only been to one petstore in my life that had what I would call an adequate betta storage system. It was a series of clear buckets that hung on the wall connected to a filter system. They were heated, cleaned, lit and securely fastened... None were dead. Its too bad every store cant be like that.
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #8 
KatPhish9

Angry

I cant believe the cruelty to Bettas out there. When I bought my male Betta at Petco the guy in the fish department told me that I should keep him in the cup I bought him for FIVE YEARS! He even tried to get me to buy flakes for the poor little guy. He never said anything about a heater, pellets, blood worms, or anything about Betta care. Just wanted me to keep him in that stupid cup. If it was not for this site I would have a dead Betta right now. I really feel sorry for all the people who just listen to the pet store people who have no business working there.
KatPhish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

They told me at the petstore where I bought my first betta to change the water when it gets cloudy. :(
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #10 
catfishtabbi

At our wal-marts the bottoms of the tanks are covered with white pooop. The emp;oyee said i'm not cleaning fish pooop! There is a fish manager available early in the day, bur i understand that he let an employee go for feed the carnivorous fish tubiflex.They sell blood red parrots for only $8, they look good when they get them then as the weeks pass when they begin starving thier eyes bug-out. I took a morsel to them and they were frightened by it! they were beyond the ability to eat and still for sale! It is sad i see them deterating for some many weeks.Please call your store manager to tell him that fish need morer than cheap supplemental brick like feedings especially a carnivore.
catfishtabbi is offline   Reply With Quote