Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #1 
fishyinpa

Exclamation Flaring

Okay another question lol. Do all bettas flare? When i first brought Morado home he was flaring like mad. I tested him today with a mirror and he just ignored it. I even moved the paper thats blocking the huge mirror on my bathroom wall,and nothing. Is that normal? With Fishy, he flares at my finger,at his food,at his multi colored light,at himself lol. So I dunno...????
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know, some flare all the time and others don't flare at all. Merlot is the only one of mine that flares. Jaden flared at me yesterday and the others NEVER flare. My female never flares but they say that females do flare. I wouldn't worry too much about it. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #3 
fishyinpa

Oh..okay...didnt know...thanks!!! Glad its normal...kinda the same way with bubblenests eh...some do some dont...silly bettas! Ooh you have a female? I didnt know that...I wanna female lol! Hmm where to put her...haha...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could keep the boys in their own tanks and put a female in with the Stooges.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 PM   #5 
Nataku

I hear bettas are like people, all with their different attitudes and different pet peeves to set them off. Some are laid back and don't flare much, others go off at everything. My red VT flares at his thermometer and harasses it so much that I never actually leave it in his tank for fear that he'll hurt himself on it. Yet putting a mirror next to the tank so he can see himself illicits no response.
My new black HM, although I haven't had him long yet, totally ignores his thermometer (even though it's the exact same model as the one I use for my red VT) but he flares at the heater every time the light pops on. And his food. And me. And the camera. And at the floor of the tank (turns himself sideways momentarily at the bottom of the tank, flares, and then rights himself and swims off).

Maybe your Morado is just a very laid back betta and doesn't feel the need to show off to everything he comes across?
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #6 
fishyinpa

Lol Nataku...Your fish sounds hilarious! Yeah he just might be...its all good...lol... Dramaqueen-Hmmm thats a thought lol! Although someone in the catfish forum said i could get 2 more pandas for my panda tank since they are the only ones in there,plus make em happier! So its either a female betta or 2 more pandas...i think i may go with 2 more pandas :)
Old 03-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #7 
Nataku

The black HM has so far proven to be quite an energetic fish. If I knew how to shoot a video and be able to upload them somewhere online I'd try to show you his fascination with the floor of the quarantine tank, because as far as I can tell so far it's not that he has any swim bladder issue, as he swims upright at all other times without issue, and seems to purposefully turns himself sideways before he'll start flaring.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:06 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Could he see his reflection in the bottom of the tank if its bare bottomed?
Old 03-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #9 
fishyinpa

Oh I wish you could figure out how to do a video...thatd be great to see lol.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

It would be funny! lol