Betta Fish Forum banner

Flaring

3K views 67 replies 6 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Okay another question lol. Do all bettas flare? When i first brought Morado home he was flaring like mad. I tested him today with a mirror and he just ignored it. I even moved the paper thats blocking the huge mirror on my bathroom wall,and nothing. Is that normal? With Fishy, he flares at my finger,at his food,at his multi colored light,at himself lol. So I dunno...????

#2 ·
I don't know, some flare all the time and others don't flare at all. Merlot is the only one of mine that flares. Jaden flared at me yesterday and the others NEVER flare. My female never flares but they say that females do flare. I wouldn't worry too much about it. lol

#3 ·
Oh..okay...didnt know...thanks!!! Glad its normal...kinda the same way with bubblenests eh...some do some dont...silly bettas! Ooh you have a female? I didnt know that...I wanna female lol! Hmm where to put her...haha...

#5 ·
I hear bettas are like people, all with their different attitudes and different pet peeves to set them off. Some are laid back and don't flare much, others go off at everything. My red VT flares at his thermometer and harasses it so much that I never actually leave it in his tank for fear that he'll hurt himself on it. Yet putting a mirror next to the tank so he can see himself illicits no response.
My new black HM, although I haven't had him long yet, totally ignores his thermometer (even though it's the exact same model as the one I use for my red VT) but he flares at the heater every time the light pops on. And his food. And me. And the camera. And at the floor of the tank (turns himself sideways momentarily at the bottom of the tank, flares, and then rights himself and swims off).

Maybe your Morado is just a very laid back betta and doesn't feel the need to show off to everything he comes across?

#6 ·
Lol Nataku...Your fish sounds hilarious! Yeah he just might be...its all good...lol... Dramaqueen-Hmmm thats a thought lol! Although someone in the catfish forum said i could get 2 more pandas for my panda tank since they are the only ones in there,plus make em happier! So its either a female betta or 2 more pandas...i think i may go with 2 more pandas :)

#7 ·
The black HM has so far proven to be quite an energetic fish. If I knew how to shoot a video and be able to upload them somewhere online I'd try to show you his fascination with the floor of the quarantine tank, because as far as I can tell so far it's not that he has any swim bladder issue, as he swims upright at all other times without issue, and seems to purposefully turns himself sideways before he'll start flaring.

#9 ·
Oh I wish you could figure out how to do a video...thatd be great to see lol.

#11 ·
oh yes...i need a good laugh lol.

#12 ·
Dramaqueen - yes I believe that is what is causing the flaring, as its a large glass jar, so the bottom, like the rest, is clear and probably does reflect (although the jar is sitting on top of a wooden chest, so I rather thought it wouldn't reflect as much on the bottom there as it would on the sides, but I could be wrong). He doesn't flare at the sides of the jar though, just the bottom.

#13 ·
I have heard all kinds of things about betas that flare at everything and bettas that dont flare at all. Ive read people saying that the more "inteligent" betta would not flare at his own reflection nor at random colored objects because they have the mental capacity to realize it is not another fish. I have also heard this explained with the idea that bettas that flare at everything are just a more aggressive fish that feel the need to be agressive. Who knows. My red VT will flare at food, my finger, me, his thermometer and all sorts of things but when he catches sight of my blue VT right next to him he only flares for a short time and then gets bored...

#14 ·
Hmm...thats interesting...

#16 ·
hehe..silly betta..

#17 ·
Hehe....I was checking on Morado today and he flared at me! yay lol. Also i think he is a lil constipated...he was looking kinda swollen...ive been fasting him for last couple days and its looking better! His color is coming back too. :)

#19 ·
He came labeled as a halfmoon, but I'm pretty sure my black betta is only a super delta, as I have yet to see him, in all of his flaring, open up his tail to a full 180 degrees or more. I don't really trust what any of the stores say anyhow, my local chain stores around here have already well proven that they've got no idea what they're talking about with their fish.
He's the only black betta I've seen so far in any of my local pet stores, but I suppose that's not terribly unusual considering most stores only carry your normal red/blue mixed VTs, instead of more unusual coloartions. I also think I read somewhere once that black coloration in bettas are is associated with a lethal gene, which causes a reduced survival rate in fry with that coloration.

#21 ·
I have actually seen a patriotic betta at one of my local stores (not one of the big chains), he was really pretty, primarily a white body with red and blue mottled fins. I know that the 'patriotic' combo is also one that is bred by several different betta-breeders online, as I see them advertised on Aquabid pretty regular.

#23 ·
Oh wow...they sound cool looking! Never seen those kinds here...

#25 ·
Lol cool! I saw some pretty females at petco...too bad im outta room!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.