Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #1 
KirbyTSnail

New Betta, a couple questions

Name:  betta1.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  50.1 KB
Hello Betta lovers! I just got a betta fish this evening, and put him in a 2.5g tank. It has slow/little filtration. The water quality is normal but the water is a little hard. I read online that betta's prefer softer water, but my location's water is very hard. Will this be ok for the betta? Hopefully the picture I uploaded will appear. His container said that he was a halfmoon, so I was wondering if the ends of his fins looked a little too scraggly and might be fin rot. I was also wondering if anyone could tell me his coloring? He was a little smaller than the other males which made me wonder if he was younger. He also hasn't flared, even when I went up to the tank glass. Is he just shy/stressed or is something else wrong? I bought him Nutrafin Max flakes, I realize that bettas prefer pellets but it was the only food I could find that had a protein as the main food source. I know the food includes freeze dried Bloodworms, is this ok for every day use? Hopefully you can see in the picture that he has blue eyes, which I've never seen on a betta. Any name suggestions for my little guy? I'm not new to tropical fish, I have a 15g with platies, guppies, and neon tetras so I assume bettas are similar to care for. I put out topfin crab and lobster bits for my snails and my fish loved them, is it ok to feed those to my betta every once in a while. Thanks for reading this whole paragraph, and helping me out!
KirbyTSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

First, welcome to the forum. Since you're not new to fish, I won't tell you to read the stickies on cycling.

My pH is 9-10 GH and my Bettas do fine. It's more important that the pH remain stable so I'd leave it alone. You can add a piece of driftwood which is supposed to help bring down the pH fairly slowly.

It's perfectly normal for Bettas to not flare in a new environment. It must be pretty scary going from that teeny tiny cup to having room to actually swim. I wouldn't worry about it. Does he have live plants or "caves" in his tank? Mine rest in their Cabomba.

It's not that Bettas refer pellets; it's that flakes can cause digestive problems. I say "can;" not "will." Others more knowledgeable than I will have to address anything related to diet.

He's a beauty. You done good!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #3 
KirbyTSnail

ok

Last edited by KirbyTSnail; 07-02-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #4 
KirbyTSnail

I have a little cave for him to hide in although he hasn't found it yet. I also have two live plants and a soft moss ball for him to rest on. The food says that has "advanced yeast extract to help support a healthy digestive system", so hopefully it be ok. Thank you for your help!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #5 
Lynzee

He's a pretty Betta. Mine has kind of the same colors. Yours has more white. I'm not sure what you'd call his colors. He definitely looks like a half moon though. His fins look alright, he'll flourish as time goes on. He's probably still young. He's probably still a bit stressed and shy, give him a few days and he'll start to recognize you, and become more active when you're around him. They have tons of personality. I've used both pellets, and flakes, both work depending on what the Betta likes. I also used freeze dried blood worms, my fish doesn't care for them too much so I don't feed them often. But if yours does, I'd use those to fill in for the flakes maybe twice to three times a week. You'll figure it out! =] The water should also be okay. I'm not too sure about that, but somebody else on here probably does. I've never seen blue eyes on a Betta either, but that's too cool. You got a unique one. I'm not good with names haha. Mine is Edgar. I tend to stick to older common names. I once had one named Jack, and Looshis. Those are the only two I can remember. But he'll either earn his name with personality, or you'll think of something you like. Anyway, welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay.
Lynzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hi Kirby, and welcome to the forum. Your already taking really good care of your fish.

Hard water is generally fine, as long as it's not extreme. Mine live and breed in hard water and I have never had an issue. Bettas are from an area with soft water, but they are very adaptable and having hard but stable water is better then having soft but unstable (pH fluctuates) water.

I think his color would be butterfly, although he is not a great example of one...whatever it is it's beautiful though.

For food, I would switch to a high quality pellet like new life spectrum or omega one. Both are high in protein and contain little problem causing filler. I'm fairly sure that nutrafin max is as good as it gets when it comes to flakes, but it's still a flake food that contains more filler then it ideally should.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #7 
KirbyTSnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzee View Post
He's a pretty Betta. Mine has kind of the same colors. Yours has more white. I'm not sure what you'd call his colors. He definitely looks like a half moon though. His fins look alright, he'll flourish as time goes on. He's probably still young. He's probably still a bit stressed and shy, give him a few days and he'll start to recognize you, and become more active when you're around him. They have tons of personality. I've used both pellets, and flakes, both work depending on what the Betta likes. I also used freeze dried blood worms, my fish doesn't care for them too much so I don't feed them often. But if yours does, I'd use those to fill in for the flakes maybe twice to three times a week. You'll figure it out! =] The water should also be okay. I'm not too sure about that, but somebody else on here probably does. I've never seen blue eyes on a Betta either, but that's too cool. You got a unique one. I'm not good with names haha. Mine is Edgar. I tend to stick to older common names. I once had one named Jack, and Looshis. Those are the only two I can remember. But he'll either earn his name with personality, or you'll think of something you like. Anyway, welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay.
Thanks for your advice and help, and might I say that you have a gorgeous betta! I decided on Cetus. Cetus was a sea monster in Greek mythology. I thought it would be ironic considering my guy is shy. anyways, thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #8 
KirbyTSnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Hi Kirby, and welcome to the forum. Your already taking really good care of your fish.

Hard water is generally fine, as long as it's not extreme. Mine live and breed in hard water and I have never had an issue. Bettas are from an area with soft water, but they are very adaptable and having hard but stable water is better then having soft but unstable (pH fluctuates) water.

I think his color would be butterfly, although he is not a great example of one...whatever it is it's beautiful though.

For food, I would switch to a high quality pellet like new life spectrum or omega one. Both are high in protein and contain little problem causing filler. I'm fairly sure that nutrafin max is as good as it gets when it comes to flakes, but it's still a flake food that contains more filler then it ideally should.
ok thanks for your help! I haven't had a problem with ph changing in that tank. I've kept red cherry shrimp in it before. I did finally get him to eat the flakes after they sunk. I even have omega one for tropical fish, I checked the ingredients and the first few are all protein. The omega one I have is flakes though. Anyways, thanks for your help!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #9 
jadaBlu

Dried Bloodworms are best fed as a once a week treat soaked before they are fed. Some fish get constipation from eating them.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #10 
KirbyTSnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
Dried Bloodworms are best fed as a once a week treat soaked before they are fed. Some fish get constipation from eating them.
ok thanks for letting me know

Tags
bloodworms, coloring, fin rot, food, water quality