Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #1 
Kittiesdragons

Helping my plants thrive

Ok I have anubias, african sword leaf and a plant I really don't know what it is... the LFS owner didn't know what it was either and it was in his tank! It's a lovely green and redish purple color and it's got long rounded leaves with pointed tips. Anyway, I would like to know what would be best to help them thrive in my 2.5 tank. I would like to know what lightbulb is best (right now I have an Incandescent 15 watt) what fertilizers to use (root tabs, liquid, or both) and what to watch out for healthwise in my new plants. I have been keeping an eye on all of the plants to make sure they are still showing good signs of health but I just want to make double sure I provide them a good environment too.
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The unknown plant sounds like it's a Ludwigia Repens or a Red Rotala if it's a slimmer leaf.

As for lights it would be best if you could switch to a CFL (compact fluorescent light) it will give you more PAR for your tank which is what we measure light in but I won't go too in depth. But basically you want to look for a light that has a Kelvin rating of 6,500K or higher. 6,500K is what the sun is measured at on a clear, mid-afternoon day; best time to grow plants! Most CFL's are 6,500K but it should say on the package, also it won't mater what watt you use since wattage is just a measurement of how much electricity your light is using!

If you don't have a soil base on your tank then I suggest getting Root tabs, any brand is fine, I use API but SeaChem is always great and then I really recommend using SeaChem's Flourish (not Excel, that's co2 additive) as for a liquid fert so use both and you're plants should be great! I use 1 drop per gallon of the Flourish twice a week.

But anyway all your root plants will benefit from both ferts but swords will be the ones who really eat up the tabs since they are heavy root feeders. So whenever someone has a sword and no full co2 system or anything, I always suggest root tabs ^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #3 
Kittiesdragons

Awesome! I will definately be getting root tabs for my root based plants. Yea neither of those look like my plant... :/ only I could buy a plant that I have absolutely no idea what it is! It's beautiful... but alas... I will be posting a pic of it as soon as I can. My tank is also near a window. Is this good? I will buy a bulb too but I kind of feel bad cause I just bought the bulb I have O.o
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #4 
TurtleBarb

Can I add a question to this thread? It's relevant.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

asking is fine my be turtle

But as far as sunlight is, it depends. If it's direct sunlight you're going to end up with some algae problems, also the sunlight will heat up the tank and cause temp fluctuations with are really bad for your fish so I don't really suggest it if you have fish/inverts in that tank. Instead just use the light bulb for 8-10 hours a day, you can go up to 12 hours though, that is what my tanks get
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote