Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #1 
Bettacrab

Why won't my bettas blow bubble nests?

When my betta named inferno lived in a bowl ith no filter or anything he made bubble nests. Now he is in a filtered and heated 5 gallon aquriuam and he won't blow a single bubble. Same with my other betta who's in a 10 gallon.

Here's. link to their tank... It's a video.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_hgWCLgzF5s
Bettacrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #2 
sainthogan

It's possible the filter is making too much of a flow that they don't think they can make nests. If your filters aren't adjustable, you can baffle them to make the flow weaker.
I can't watch the video for some reason, so I can only guess this is what is happening.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #3 
OrangeAugust

My betta used to make bubble nests all the time, too, but he hasn't made one in months. He is in a divided 10 gallon and there is no water movement in his section. My other male betta has never made a bubble nest that I can remember, and he's been in a tank without a filter and now a tank with a filter.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

I can't see the video either. I would agree that the filter may be the culprit. But, he may just not be in the mood to make one too. Most of my fish made one bubble nest, and once I moved them to new tanks or did 100% cleaning they never built another. My only bubble nester right now is Ranger. He has been maintaining one since Teddy moved in next door (3 way divived 10 g). Teddy is a PK, so I'm wondering if he thinks he's a girl.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

IME they like small still places to blow bubble nests. My fish in the 10g NEVER blow nests. When I get ready to breed I put him in a 1 gallon container and voila! Bubble nest.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:23 AM   #6 
Bettacrab

I went on factions nd came back to see that both bettas has built massive bubblenest throughout the whole tank. Too bad it was water change day.... I felt soo bad
Old 07-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #7 
kimt

All bettas are different. My first one has never blown a single bubble. My other 3 males do blow bubble nests. My giant and elephant ear build their bubble nests like it's their job. My giant's bubble nest is nearly 1 inch high. When I do the weekly water changes, it messes up their bubble nests but they just start over. My other male didn't blow a single bubble nest until I moved him out of the 1 gallon hospital tank into a 2.5 gallon. Then I put a filter in his mini bow tank and it took him a couple of days to build a bubble nest because of the current. He builds it under the filter where there is no water movement.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #8 
JelloBetta

It may be the filter causing this. Filters make it harder for bubble nests to be made, as it blows the bubbles everywhere.
JelloBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #9 
MichelleA

I can see the video. How does your chinese algae eater get along with the others? I heard they were aggressive? But to stay on subject.... My oldest betta never blows bubble nests anymore. He did alot when i first got him but not anymore. I have one who ive never seen a nest from, one who regularly makes half his tank into one and one who just makes tiny ones all the time. I think it really just depends on the fish. Also, like the others said it may have to do with the current in your tank. You can always baffle that filter. I started off with that exact same filter and found it was way too much for my 10 gallon.
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #10 
Bettacrab

Ok thanks and the Chinese algea eater is fine. He wouldn't hurt a shrimp