Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #1 
JadeAngel

Betta tail shredding after water changes...

I can not get this page to upload my pictures, so I am linking the public album I made on fb to show you guys....

My gorgeous little guy, Hotohori, keeps going through an odd fin shredding.

When I got him, the day after I put him in the tank, his fin was shredded 100% around the caudal fin, half way into it..... I immediately assumed it was this little plant that has pointy ends even though my old betta never had a problem with that. I removed it... and he healed.

Come time for his first water change. 2 days after the water change, half of his caudal fin was shredded horribly again... this time I'm thinking fin rot? And I put medicine in the tank. He heals 100%.

Next water change... a few hours later he has a little shredding, and the next morning a third fo his tail is shredded again. I put more medicine in. He starts healing quickly, and no more shredding.

Basically this happens immediately after every water change. The water changes are just under half (2g out of the 5g) once a week. It's conditioned, and I make sure it is the same temperature as the tank. I do know that our water tested very high in hardness and minerals once before, but I can't get to the pet store to have it tested again right now nor can I buy test strips as we're in a tight spot.

If you can see the photos, feel free to repost them here if you're able, it just would not let me do it.

Could it be tail biting? And what about the water change would cause this? Should I try spring water instead for his tank? Or do some fish just really freak out about water changes? I've done a couple with him in the tank, but the last 2 I took him out. But the results are the same.

I have taken everything out of the tank and sanitized absolutely everything with boiling water, thinking there might be a bacteria thriving after water changes? I don't know... his tail is too beautiful to just let him like this... and it does heal every time... but then the cycle of this shredding restarts as soon as I change his water again. He is in a 5g filtered and heated tank (well... the weather is so hot now, the heater is unplugged as his tank is between 80-82 now with the heater off AND ac in the room on most of the day)

My other 2 males in their 5g tanks, and my sorority in their 10g get the same water changes and they don't have this problem.

Any advice is appreciated!!

https://www.facebook.com/cassie.orel...4964006&type=3

(link above is for the photos... if anyone can see them and attach them to this thread it would be helpful since I can't)
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #2 
darkangel

it looks like tail biting, he might be a stress biter. Don't use medication anymore because he doesn't need it.

Maybe you should try indian almond leaves?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #3 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel View Post
it looks like tail biting, he might be a stress biter. Don't use medication anymore because he doesn't need it.

Maybe you should try indian almond leaves?
Is there something I can do during water changes to make it less stressful for him?
JadeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #4 
Narny105

Indian almond leaves are a good idea to use. They definitely keep the water where bettas like it to be and maintain a good pH

You could try slowing the water changes down. I know fish like their water changes nice and slow, and that might reduce stress. It's really just a case of trial and error with nippers to find what works best
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote