Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #1 
Blanton

Smile Hello from Michigan

Hello, my name is Brittany. I'm newer to the world of betta keeping and hope to continue my education on how to properly care for the betta I bought as a sympathy purchase (shame on me) from Walmart. My fiancÚ and I decided to name him Junior because I was naturally calling him that when I was carrying him around the store. Junior currently lives in an Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 with the filter that came with the tank, a heater, and the decorations I bought at Pet Supplies Plus today. He seems very active and happy in this setup, however, I intend to put my 10 gallon tank to use in the future once I have the money for dividers (I think it would look silly having a single betta in such a large tank) and extra decorations.

I've done a fair amount of research about housing a betta, but there seems to be a lot of conflict when it comes to the minimum size tank that a betta should be put in. One side says that a betta should be fine in a 2.5 gallon while the other says that a 2.5 gallon is cruel just like the little cups that they come in and that a 5 gallon is the absolute minimum. It's these complications that confuse me. Am I being cruel by keeping my betta in a 2.5 gallon? I do a 100% water change once a week (on Sundays) to help keep the tank clean and the temperature is kept at a constant 82░F, if that's of any importance.
Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

2.5 gallons is perfectly fine for a betta IMO. All of my betta tanks are either 2.5 gal. mini bows or 5 gal. Is 5 gallons better? Sure but when you have multiple tanks taking over the house, space can become an issue. The 2.5 mini-bows are fully cycled so that's the smallest that I would go personally.

A lot of folks have them in less than 2.5 but the water has to be changed out more frequently.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

IMO, it depends on the Betta. I have males in 10g, 5g, 5.5g & 2.5g tanks. I swapped two around because the one that was in the 2.5g was super active & the one in the 5.5g seemed to only swim in a certain area. They both appear very happy with their new accommodations. My 2.5g is unfiltered so I do 2 50%+ water changes per week with a 100% every 2-3 wks. I also have a sorority of 10 females in a 46g tank. Tank size also depends on what you're willing & able to care for.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #4 
Blanton

Junior has shown that he likes the Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 with how active he continues to be, so I'm not too concerned about the tank size anymore. I just wanted someone to reassure me that I wasn't being cruel to Junior because that's the last thing my fiancÚ and I want. Junior is like our first child and we want to take good care of him.

I personally feel that the minimum should be 2.5 gallons as the 1 gallons I've seen appear to have little room for the fish to swim, especially when there are decorations inside the tank. A 2.5 gallon is spacious enough for a betta and decorations, good for when you're low on space in your home, and sold at a decent price. Of course, bigger is always better, but not everyone can afford to have a 5 gallon or fit it where they live.

I have another question, but this time it's about the 10 gallon tank. The tank was a gift to me from an old friend who no longer had a use for it. She brought it to me with several water stains that I couldn't get out with a rag and water. I know it's not wise to use soap in the tank, so I'm wondering if a vinegar solution would be safe to use on these stains. It's the only thing I can think of to get the water stains off the glass. Would a vinegar solution be safe to use on my tank if I made sure to rinse it well before adding any fish?
Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #5 
Fabi

Hello,welcome to the forums!
Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Those water stains can be tough .

Try the vinegar at first. If you can lay the aquarium down on a towel and let the vinegar soak the stained area for about 1/2 hour that would be best. Wipe with a cloth and rinse.

If vinegar alone doesn't do the trick, try vinegar, lemon juice and some baking soda. Make it into a paste and gently scrub out the affected areas.

Good luck!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote