Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #1 
Chard56

Shipping Plants

I recently recieved two different packages of plants in the mail over the last few weeks. These people were kind enough to send them at no charge for the plants and only the shipping fee. When I told the first one that it looked like someone threw up their salad in a baggie of water I never heard back from them. The second one, even after reassuring me they would send the plants as per my instructions was only 4 ounces of salad puke instead of 10 like the first one. Let me reiterate and say again. DO NOT ship plants in WATER. Plants are to be shipped in moist paper towels ONLY!!! Plants shipped in water will only result in a bag of mush or salad puke. I've only wasted $12 and change but learned not to buy plants from individuals that don't pay attention to shipping details.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you for that info Chard! I had planned on selling plants eventually when mine grow enough to be trimmed well so that's really valuable info to me, thank you!

You should demand they pay you for shipping XD but yeah, that's sad they didn't listen!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #3 
Chard56

They were trying to be nice and share but all they did was waste their time and my money. Hopefully they will learn from this. I know I did!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Definitely! I understand the first time, but the second time? lol hopefully third time is the charm but with someone else, right? lol That's really nice and all but I agree, just time, money and wonderful plants waste

And I am of course glad you shared it as well ^_^ I know when I order plants they come in damn newspaper and I never knew why! Now I do!
Old 07-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 
Chard56

It was two different people and one reshipped while the other one offered to. I've got varying opinions on another forum about shipping with water and they say they get theirs in water. Maybe a sturdier plant, I don't know but I've always gotten mine in wet paper towels or newspaper with out damage to the plants. Everytime I've recieved them in water they are just ruined.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I would think like a large amazon sword might fair better than floaters or delicate plants with small leaves on it. But yeah, all the ones that came in paper are great! I actually just got some floaters in today but unfortunately they had water in it and just as you had experienced, it looked and smelled terrible. I couldn't even salvage the anacharis I got some snails out of it though so it wasn't a total loss haha
Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #7 
whatsupyall

Lol, puke salad. Thank you sharing this experience Chard56.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #8 
jadaBlu

The plants I paid for from a company were shipped in a box with the pink insulation on the inside exterior with a big warning to watch out for the insulation, (maybe peanuts or other foam insulsation would do the same thing?)then the plants were wrapped in damp but not soaking wet newsprint, then they were sealed in ziplock bags. They looked really good. You might want to request that. Even just damp newpaper and bags I would think would do the job. They went 2 day or 3 day shipping.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #9 
peachii

Sorry about your bad experience. We've ordered so many plants luckily I know how to package them from the ones I've ordered.

So far all the plants I have sent out have arrived safe and sound. :)
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #10 
Chard56

Just another learning experience. I put off shipping my Bettas for months until I was comfortable with the knowledge of how to package and bag them. That was probably over 3 and a half years ago. I've shipped thousands of Bettas and hundreds of Guppies since them. I'll be posting and selling Angelfish as soon as I have an oxygen source. You have to start somewhere and by trial and error add little things to improve your methods and tweak this or that to figure out the best balance between keeping your product safe without charging too much for shipping and keeping your costs down.