Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #1 
Kymberley84

Exclamation Urgent - stuck betta and now very injured

Mason got stuck in an ornament. I don't know how long for but could have been hours because I have been at work all day. I tried to cut it off him but couldn't.i had to push him back out. He can't swim properly, he has lost part of his tail and so many scales on his body. He is just almost upright and is struggling to go to top for air. I have put medicine in his tank but do you think he's to far gone? Do I need to put him out of his mysery? Is there a chance he would get better?

Last edited by Kymberley84; 07-03-2013 at 03:53 AM.
Kymberley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #2 
keepsmiling

Can you post a pic? He may be able to recover, depending on how badly he was injured of course. Sending good energy.
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #3 
Kymberley84

Thank you for replying!! This is one picture and I have one more. He is barely moving. He was struggling to swim to top of tank for air (about 30cm high) so now i have him resting in anet near the top so he get air easier. I just don't know what to do! I have had him 7 months and have tried to make sure he is happy - i got hime a bogger tank and a heater and i take good care of him. Now ive hurt him so much by putting a stupid ornament that he could hide behind :(
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #4 
Sylerwin

He seems a little roughed up, and maybe in shock, but it seems like he could recover. Remove any ornaments he could hurt himself with, keep the water warm and clean and he should recover. If you don't want to have him in a net, lower the water level so he can swim around but it's easy to get up.
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #5 
Kymberley84

I put multi cure in his water. Should i get any other medice?
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #6 
LittleDeer

What type of ornament did he get stuck in?

I hope he heals up okay, he looks pretty roughed up, but hopefully the scales and find grow back.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Clean, warm, conditioned water. If there are no internal I juries he should heal up within a week or so. I had one girl get sucked into my water changer, she had a big chunk out of her back & some scrapes, I out I to a QT tank & within a week you'd never know anything happened. Meds aren't necessary IMO at this time.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #8 
Kymberley84

It was a Japanese house sort of thing. Cut in half now.. He swam up thorugh the bottom and his head was stuck in a little window. Tough lesson for me to learn i guess! I tried to cut it off but i would have cut him. I literally had to push his head back through. I makes me feel sick how much pain he would have been/ is still in!
I am treating water for a smaller tank. This one is about 20 cm high. SHould i still float him in the net near the top or just let him lay on the bottom. he can barely move so is a huge stuggle for him to swim up for air.
How often should i do water change?
What is IMO?
Thansk for all of your advice! I had no idea how to help him and there are no pet stores open at the moment.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #9 
Kymberley84

Mason died this morning :(
Thanks again for all your help. This is a wonderful forum!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #10 
WOLFSRAIN4

aww im sorry to hear that....i understand your pain...i found my first betta stuck behind a rock decor and the tank......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymberley84 View Post
Mason died this morning :(
Thanks again for all your help. This is a wonderful forum!
WOLFSRAIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote