Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #1 
slug61

Bad fin biting

My veiltail had fin rot last month and was treated for 14 days with AQ salt in a 1 gallon hospital tank. We were away for 5 days and came back yesterday to a fish that has bitten off his dorsal fin and the fin on the bottom is shredded and white along the edges.

He looks really bad...but still happy and eating well.

My question is..should i remove him from his cycled 2.5g to the hospital tank to treat again? If so, what happens to my cycle?

We are leaving again for 8 days on July 13th...so i only have 10 days.

Water params are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5-10 nitrates. I do 50% water changes 2X per week with StressCoat.

He lives alone with a moss ball.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #2 
slug61

No one???
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #3 
sainthogan

If you are leaving again, there's a good chance he will bite some more. Some fish are like that when their primary care givers go away, they get bored, anxious, stressed, and start biting. Does he have lots of places to hide? If not, you may consider getting him some more places to hide to help reduce the stress of you not being there while you're gone.
I'm not sure if you should start treating him now or wait until you come back, because my guess is that if you treat him now, you're going to have to treat him again when you get back because he will have bitten more of his tail and fins.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

If the fish lives by itself, then there is no need to move it to a quarantine tank to treat it.

You could remove the fish from the main tank and leave it be - nothing will happen to the cycle while you're gone. Not that I think you should do that, but just so you know.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote