Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #1 
Patriot17

My new betta Tim.

Hello everyone!

I am somewhat new to keeping bettas but I have had one for about 3 months now. Anyways, at my local fish store they had two of these bettas kept together, as far as I could tell they were both males. I knew that is a big no no so I decided to purchase one. I named him Tim because he is so small and sickly. I am pretty sure that he has a fungal infection as well as ich. So far all I have done is frequent water changes as well as keeping the water around 80 degrees. So my question to you all is what steps should i take next to get this little guy to prime shape. Hes so active and very happy but I know he is sick. At night he will flash against the plants in his tank. His fins were also in really bad shape when I got him but they seem to be on a rapid come back. I feed tim new life spectrum betta formula pellets and frozen/freeze dried blood worms. He has an enormous appetite and quickly gobbles down everything I put in there. Right now I am keeping him in a 2 gallon spec but I will be getting a five gallon tank for him soon. Here are some pictures of Tim.

In one of the pics you can see white spots on his fin.
Attached Images

Patriot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #2 
Melodica

Aww, he's so cute! He's definitely lucky that you came along.

I'm not the best one for advice on treating illness, but I think I remember seeing that a raised temperature can help with ich. You'll probably need medications (or at the very least aquarium salt) to treat a fungal infection. If you search these forums you can probably find tons of great advice on diagnosis and treatment of various illnesses.
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #3 
Patriot17

I just got back from the fish store and got my self some aquarium salt. I'm going to try the salt+raised temp method first and then move to medication if it does not work. Thanks for the response.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 
HeadlessLegoMom

Just remember to dissolve the salt seperately before you put it into Tim's water! Otherwise it could hurt him.
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #5 
Kithy

He's adorable! Best of luck, I know he'll pull through quickly in loving care!
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #6 
Patriot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessLegoMom View Post
Just remember to dissolve the salt seperately before you put it into Tim's water! Otherwise it could hurt him.
Yeah I dissolved it in a cup with water from the tank. Hes doing ok so far so I'm pretty sure hes going to pull through. keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #7 
Patriot17

Just a little update on Tim. Hes still doing good, I have his water at 85 and am still using aquarium salt. Doing daily 100% water changes to get the ick out. I took some better pictures of him. You can still see a few white spots but I believe the treatment is working.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #8 
Patriot17

Just a quick update on Tim. I believe he is now free of ick, as well as the fungus that was on his right side. The salt and high temps worked wonders and I would definitely recommend that approach to anyone before medicating. His fins continue to grow and the color is starting to show up in the new growth. Just want to say a quick thanks to everyone on this site the information on here was very helpful. I will post some pics of Tim in a week or so.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #9 
Melodica

That's great! I'm so glad that you were able to get him well without using the medications. I think those should be a last resort in most cases. I look forward to seeing new pics of Tim!
Melodica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #10 
Kittiesdragons

He a looker! I'm so glad you were able to treat him and get him feeling better!
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote