Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #1 
RockyTheBetta26

Question How much to feed?

Hello! I have a question regarding how much and how often to feed my betta, Jasper. I feed him Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. I give him 3 a day and fast him one day a week. Is that a good amount? Also would it be better to feed him everything in one sitting or split it up to feed him a smaller amount twice a day. Also, I want to incorporate frozen bloodworms as a treat once a week. How many should I give him and should I give them at the same time as the pellets or wait to let him digest the pellets before feeding him the bloodworms? Thanks in advance for any help!!
RockyTheBetta26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

I feed New Life Spectrum. Mine get four or five pellets twice a day. They can only eat four or five at one time.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #3 
RockyTheBetta26

Ok, so then 8-10 a day split up?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #4 
Deeana Mill

I am new to Betta ownership and had the same question you do. Everything I read said only to feed as much as the fish will eat in 5 minutes. So I think this amount depends on the size of the fish, how good of an eater it is, etc.

First of all, I was feeding mine way too much and there was old food at the bottom of the bowl.

What I did was I skipped the day of feeding, then when I did feed them (I have two, in separate bowls) I put two little pellets in at a time. And watched how quickly they ate. Kept giving two at a time until they stopped eating. Which for one was indeed within about 5 minutes, but the other one is just a slower eater. But after 15 minutes I remove the remaining pellets from the water - and they are usually still floating at the top.

I think if you would try this, you will determine the eating pattern of the individual fish.
Deeana Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #5 
RockyTheBetta26

I'm just worried he would over eat because the second I drop a pellet in he downs it. It takes all of 30 seconds to feed him and that's just because I wait a while before giving him another pellet. He could probably eat them all in under ten secs. If I would let him, the little piggy!! And that would be a ton of food in 5 minutes...
Old 07-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

I hand feed and drop in one pellet at a time. Usually, after four or five my guys swim away.

Bettas don't fit into the five-minute rule. They eat one piece of food at a time and take time to chew.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #7 
hodad66

great info...... I basically drop one pellet in every once in a while
an would bet that the total is around 10 per day.
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #8 
RockyTheBetta26

Ok thanks:D makes sense, anyone have advice about the bloodworms?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #9 
Viva

I use NLS pellets which are smaller than the Omega pellets and I feed 8 - 10 pellets a day splitting it up into two feedings per day. If I accidentally feed too much or I notice he is still stuffed from his last meal I might skip a feeding or two. Omega pellets probably 2 - 3 twice a day is good but I'm not sure how large they are. I think the NLS pellets I feed are 1 millimeter in diameter.

Bloodworms can be fed once or twice a week instead of their normal pellet feeding. I feed 2 or 3 bloodworms to each. Enough to fill them up.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #10 
RockyTheBetta26

Ok, thank you!! (: