Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #1 
Irishdancer

Most humane way to euthanize?

My fish has been fighting a tumor that is affecting his gills and making it hard to breathe. I noticed that he seemed to be in discomfort a month ago, and he's worsened to the point that the only time he ever moves is to flinch when I turn on his light to check on him. I've been expecting him to die at any moment for a week now, and I feel like it's time to put him out of his misery.

I know there is controversy over this, but what is the most painless way to euthanize a fish? I was going to drug him, but seeing as he's already struggling to breath, would it be better to chill his water?
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Clove Oil & Freezing Water Methods are best IMO.

In clove oil, it'll take a while because you'll have to put the fish asleep first and then add more oil to euthanize but most people prefer this rather than the freezing water. In the freeze water method, you just freeze water until there's a few ice crystals on the surface and then slowly drop your fish in. It's fast, but the shock euthanizes them.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #3 
Canis

+1 for clove oil. Seems more humane and painless to me.

Sorry about your poor baby 8(
Canis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #4 
snowflake311

The old fisher man way is the best. Just crop off the head. Quick and painless. It's hard as hell to do to your pet.

I have used vodka and cold water before. Put the fish in ice water to shock it that alone can kill a weak fish. Then I add vodka and they are gone fast. It's so hard to know what's the best way to put down a pet fish. When ever you add stuff to the water you could be causing pain like burning gills.

If you can just chop the head off.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

People say that you are supposed to pith the head when you decapitate. Pithing is sticking the knife into the brain of the fish.

Blunt trauma is one of the most humane methods. For a small fish, you can place the fish on a paper towel, fold the towel over the fish and then hit it with a hammer. Aside from instant death, it's easy clean up.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #6 
Riverotter

Studies have shown that an overdose of anesthetic is the most human way to put down a fish. Cold water is fast, but possibly painful. Decapitation is NOT human unless the brain is pithed (destroyed) as brain function continues for several minutes in fish.

Clove oil is an anesthetic. The fish will grow numb, lose consciousness, stop breathing and die. It's what I would use.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #7 
Irishdancer

I really don't think I can cut or hit him. I'm thinking the clove oil is probably the best option in this case. Do you know where to get some? Like would they have it at the grocery store or would I need to go to a pharmacy?
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Clove oil is normally used in toothaches so I guess pharmacy, but the grocery store may have some.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #9 
darkangel

go to a pharmacy, look in the area for tooth ache relief section.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #10 
Canis

Make sure you do not use it in the tank though, unless you plan on throwing it away. I'd use a disposable container or gallon bucket, something you won't be putting fish in again at any point in the future. You'll only need a few drops of it to put him to sleep, and then continue adding drops until he passes.
Canis is online now   Reply With Quote