Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #1 
Lena N

Gill cover still sticking out, what medication to chose. Please help!!!!

Please advise about what to do as I have 3 Betta not doing great right now and frustrated...

First Betta Cherryk has one gill cover sticking more than another and breazing heavily. The problem I do not know weather he injured himself or it is bacterial infection or gill fluke. Also couple scales are haning around gill cover area. Both gill covers have kind of cracks in the middle. I think he has it for 6 days. I put him in cup floating in tank the first day I saw problem.
First 2 days I gave him a drop of Paraguard and after that I keep him in AQ salt (1 tbspoon per G). I do not see any improvement...
I bought some more medicine but do not know what to try, as pretty afraid of medicine.
This is what I bought: Fungus Clear Jungle
Fungus Guard Tetra
Maracyn two mardel
Quick Cure AP
I wanted to buy parasite clear but there was none in store.

Another Betta Pistacio
has some white stains/spots on his pectoral fins (only pectoral fins) and those look more shaped on the inside side of fin (clothest to his body). I am thinking maybe it is fungus...He moves those fins so fast that I do not think I will be able to capture those on camera...
The question if I decide to use Fungus Clear Jungle or Fungus Guard Tetra are they safe for plants??? Has anybody used them in Planted Tanks?

Betta Blueno
has pretty big eyes(he has it for a wile) and I am also thinking of treating him with strong medication. Only I do not know which to chose - both Maracyn Two an Fungus Guard claim to treat Pop eye...

They all sit in sycled tanks. All problems started when I added new plants and new filters...Filters were very noisy - I think they stressed them out a lot. Plants were from Petsmart tank with snails, I am afraid it could be the reason of problems too(probably brought some infection home)....

Last edited by Lena N; 07-03-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Lena N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #2 
NickZac

Petsmart tanks with plants is a place where numerous ailments can come from. Did you QT the plants without fish before introducing? Also, what are your water parameters and what size tanks are you dealing with? If the tank is small, use of medication needs to be more careful because an overdosage will kill the fish as there will not be as much parameter stability. Further, if H2O parameters are not good, medicating the fish may kill rather than help due to additional stress medication places on fish...many people overmedicate and the medication is often COD. Are both eyes bulging or is one eye bulging? If it is a single eye, it is a gram positive bacterial condition which Maracyn and Maracyn Two will both treat. Fungus Guard will also treat, but is not ideal. If both eyes are popping out, there are a few possibilities. Fungus looks like a cottony growth and it is often the byproduct of a bacterial infection (i.e.: it is a secondary infection indicative of something else). Parasites and some protozoa that attack the slime coating and gills are typically indicated by 'scratching' against rocks and tank furniture, which may explain missing gills as they will scratch a lot of it is bad. Many of these parasites are visible to the naked eye, or an enhanced photograph. Physical damage from something sharp is a possibility as well. Breathing heavy can indicate parasites but also water parameter issues. One gill cover sticking out a little more than the other is not necessarily of concern, but changes are and from what you have described, it sounds like gill flukes is a possible condition. If so, praziquental is by far the safest medication for this as many medications for parasites are also extremely toxic. Pure prazi should be dissolved in a few drops of vodka due to poor water solubility. Hope that helps and goodluck!
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi, could you fill out the form below so that we have more information? Answer whatever you can. Leave blank anything you can't answer (or put NA).

Also, if you can get photos of them, that will help people, also. I know it's difficult to get good pictures of them, but whatever you can get may be useful to people.

-----------------------
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I havent been able to find parasite clear either
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #5 
Lena N

NickZac, LittleBlueFishlets, Tikibirds
Thank you for answering. Sorry I was away...was treating fishiks.

NickZac Unfurtunatelly when you answered my question I had already left for store to buy some med LFS. There was Prazipro but I did not buy as in store they said I would see the flukes if thy were there. When came back home saw your answer. Next day LFS did not work so I boutght General Cure at Petsmart.
Well I was ttreating Pistacio (guy with fungus on his pectoral fins) for 4 days with Fungus Clear and it did not help. Actually that thing is just antibiotics and I thought it was from fungus.
He is back to comunity tank as I do not know if I should treat him with salt or other med.
Cherryk also was in quaranteen tank for 2 days in Gaeneral cure (I read online that it is pretty toxic) and he seems to be better. Better from 7 days in AQ salt or 2 days in GQ, I am not sure....

I think Bluenos
eyes are better now. Yes he has two big eyes...

Tikibirds It looks they sell it only in some Wallmart stores. There is none in my area....

LittleBlueFishlets
Housing Two tanks by 5 gallon (Fluval) with 2 Betta in each devided.
What size is your tank? 5 G
What temperature is your tank? 78-80F (now 80F-82F as it is hot outside and I do not have conditioner in house)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, Pretty good filter. I just changed carbon for peat granules.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? None
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Bought 2 Otos yesteday.

Food
Frozen blood warms(hikkory) couple times a week, New life spectrum every day, Tetra pellets 1 time a week, sometimes dried shrimps from Tetra flakes
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Depends. 1-3 times a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Depends... 25-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? New Stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 (maybe less now as I vacumed pretty good last time)
pH: 7.8 -8.0
Hardness: -
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment I will tell about Pistachio a
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? has some white cottony shape spots on his pectoral fins (only pectoral fins) and those look more shaped on the inside side of fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Did not change much. Very seldom he can not use one pectoral fin whe swimming. But rare.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 8 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, kept him in Paraguard first couple days, there was no improvement, so I stoped it for 6 days. After I kept him in Fungus clear in Q Tank for 4 days changing water every day and adding med. Did not help...

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No, he was pretty healthy boy before this.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Have no idea. I bought him 3 months ago.

Last edited by Lena N; 07-08-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:38 AM   #6 
Lena N

I will try to make photos tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #7 
NickZac

Certain antibiotics are commonly used to treat many types of fungal infections. Often when treating fungal infections, some sort of antibiotic is good to use as fungus often comes after some other sort of illness such as bacteria. Mardell and API both have medications in LFS's that are antibiotics with anti-fungal activity. Some of these meds may also contain acraflavine.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote