Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #11 
Marlow

These are all great suggestions, thanks guys :) It's unfortunate that carpets are so difficult to grow, they really make for amazing looking tanks. As for the java moss, if I do find any, I doubt it will be going to my bettas- i've been trying to find it for my livebearers for what feels like forever. I wish I wasn't so nervous about buying online- I wouldn't have to worry about IDing trouble or waiting for new shipments then. Ah well, eventually i'll be brave enough to atleast try ha
Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #12 
Laki

If you can find a fish store who breeds their own fish or shrimp, rather than ship them in, you can probably get your hands on pretty large chunks of java moss. I find all of the franchise stores here don't have breeding tanks. I found a breeder store and they just have tanks with pieces of JM as large as a human head! It was ridiculous.

Or ask on online classifieds. You'll find some people are sometimes just wishing to get rid of the stuff, that's how I got my JM! lol It grows really fast in some people's tanks.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #13 
learis

This is what I'm going to try. I'm all about minimal maintenance right now.

I love moss balls and I really want to get some floating plants since I don't have to worry about properly planting them and I imagine they're fine in low light which is what I want.

I was wondering if there were any floating plants that sort of have vines that hang within the water. The betta could then swim and weave through the vines and it might be fun for her. I think in their native home of Thailand they live in very heavily planted rice patties and shrubbery areas so I imagine they might be used to being surrounded on all sides by plants.
learis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #14 
Deanna01

If you want to grow a carpet, Planted Aquariums Central has several plants that are already matted--they should make it a breeze, really.

I highly recommend this seller, too. I have been extremely happy with the plants I've gotten from them.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #15 
VJM

Dwarf water lettuce has long "tails" that hang down. Fish love them.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #16 
Deanna01

There's some frogbit on the Tropical Fishkeeping Forum classifieds. I got mine from this guy earlier. They came in looking great!

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...rogbit-173041/
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #17 
mushumouse

amazon frogbit, dwarf water lettuce and red root floater all have those nice long roots, and are all available on ebay and aquabid most days. i personally have never had any luck with finding floaters locally, except for duckweed. lesser duckweed and greater duckweed do also grow some trailing roots, though they're much shorter... if you live near a pond or lake, you could probably pull some right out, though you'd have to be extra careful about quarantining it before adding it to your tank. also, if you add lesser duckweed to your tank, don't expect it to ever leave, haha.
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #18 
peachii

Dwarf water lettuce, frogbit, water sprite, and my personal favorite is Antler Fern. My giant Harley is right now, sitting on the middle of the antler fern lounging like he is king of the tank staring at me on the computer. It's lights off so he is supposed to be "sleeping", it's the cutest thing ever. I hope he does it when the light comes on because i need a picture of this! It's just now grown big enough where he can sit on the middle of it.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #19 
Marlow

I love that one plant site, but I think it only ships to the US? I actually live in Canada- just now realized I didn't have that in my profile -.o This is another reason for my hesitation to order online, I fear shipping costs will cost an arm and a leg..Damn border

Mm..I only have one pet shop that sells live plants or fish within hours (and hours xOx) of me, and I don't believe they breed their own fish- excluding cichlids, as there always seems to be tanks filled with tiny babies of those. I did ask the main fish person/owner if they ever got Java Moss in and he said rarely- I assume if he had any himself, he would've offered me some, as he's offered to make me tank lids and such before la

I'll be heading to the store today or tomorrow to see what can find
Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #20 
peachii

One of the big plant retailers online has a Canada division actually, it might be the one she posted.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote