Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #21 
Viva

I don't recommend any type of moss because they do much better in colder temperatures. Most of mine has died off or is barely growing and when it does it grows all stringy looking. Java fern and anubias work well. Anubias plants have bigger leaves where as a Java fern looks, well, like a fern lol. I find my bettas love anubias to sleep on and hide in. Also pretty much any type of Cryptocoryne plant does well just be sure not to disturb its roots when its roots are established or it will melt.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #22 
Marlow

Back from the store and I have a few purchases ^^ Two anubias for each side of the tank, some cabomba to float, and a plant I thought was a java fern but..I doubt it now looking at pictures of them. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow to see if anyone can identify it.

Is there any special way I should float the cabomba, or just plop it down in the water? I put the ends of a couple in the gravel, and poked the stem of another through the divider to keep it in place, but i'm not really sure if I should do this or not. I almost bought a Cryptocoryne, but it was very small and the idea of it being destroyed if I accidentally disturbed the roots was too intimidating. Maybe if it was a better looking specimen I would've given in, but it really was very..tiny. And sort of sad looking :<

I think I will continue to look for frogbit or dwarf water lettuce online..I just love the leafy top floater look, though I am loving the cabomba (wow, just can't seem to spell this right without going back and checking every other letter, lol. I keep typing it as: comba, camboba, combaba, etc. One of those words my brain won't compute @.@). If moss is a bad idea I may give up on the carpet idea, unless I can find a 'grassy' plant carpet instead. Maybe clover or dwarf pennywort (not those really look grassy, but they are pretty >> <<)? If any of these outgrow the tank I have multiple other places to put parts of them in, so i'm not really worried about that, but does anyone have experience with them?
Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #23 
learis

An additional note to add though is that my betta was introduced as a baby at the time my dwarf gourami was in there, so she sort of grew up with him. That might contribute to her not being hostile to him.

I also think fish that are very quick typically don't piss off the betta as she simply can't keep up with them. When she was in my community tank I also had some black skirt tetras. Sometimes she'd try to nip at them but they just did a quick dart away and she ended up leaving them alone (lol, maybe my betta is just lazy).
learis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #24 
Viva

Nice! I don't have any experience with pennywort or cabomba but dwarf sagittaria is a small grassy plant that spreads with runners. It only grows to about 2 - 3 inches tall so I love it as a foreground plant. It spreads quicker in my NPT than in my tank that has Eco-Complete substrate I've noticed.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #25 
Laki

I don't know about cambomba (sp) but if it's a stem feeder like hornwort and anacharis you can float it. If it's a root feeder, you'll need to plant it.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #26 
mybabyjets

are Aponogeton good with bettas? or good plants to have? and can i keep them with my goldfish
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #27 
ao
TFK Moderator

aponogetons grow quite big :) gold fish might eat them
cabomba can be grown floating (mine is!)
dwarf sags have been known to grow more than 7in, mine are 5in
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #28 
mybabyjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
aponogetons grow quite big :) gold fish might eat them
cabomba can be grown floating (mine is!)
dwarf sags have been known to grow more than 7in, mine are 5in
thank you
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #29 
Marlow

Oof, busy non-stop week. Finally here are some pictures of the tank and that unknown plant.

It still looks kind of barren, but i'm not done searching for plants @.@

Anyone know what this is? It seems to be pretty big, I hope it doesn't outgrow the tank .___. It's divided into three now, but will soon be split into two..My third betta, Cobalt, is too fragile to go in here, so he'll have to stay in his 1.5 gal :(
Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #30 
Viva

No idea what that plant is but its really pretty. I love the pink edges on the leaves, I want one!!!