Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #1 
amyw16

Exclamation Help! Fin Rot!

I have a betta that we purchased about 7 mths. ago. He has what I thought to be a terrible case of fin rot. He is a crowntail betta. All the "frayed" parts of his fins are gone and some of the solid parts are gone too. He looks terrible. I have tried treating him with Maracin twice with no improvement. Next I tried treating him with Fungus Eliminator twice and also have seen no improvement. If anyone has any advice for what to do next, please let me know.
amyw16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #2 
mitcore

if it is fin rot you need to treat the fin rot and isolate the betta
is he on his own?
mitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 AM   #3 
amyw16

Yes, he is by himself in a 2.5 gallon tank.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:18 AM   #4 
mitcore

what are his water stats?
ph etc
mitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #5 
amyw16

I'll check and get back with you. I change 50% of his water every two days.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #6 
amyw16

Exclamation Help! I think he's dying RIGHT NOW!

His water is/has been okay. The only thing that was a little off was the amonia which was about .25. I went ahead and changed his water again. Everything thing else was okay. The ph was about 7.6.
We were gone all day today so I wasn't here to notice him. Earlier tonight I dropped his food in like I always do (except when he gets shrimp) and got some things ready for bed. When I went back to turn his light off I noticed that his food was still there. I bent down to find him and he was sitting at the top of the water in the back of the tank next to the heater. He wasn't moving. I tapped on the tank a few times and he still didn't move. He just kind of floated a little sideways. I went to tell my husband that I thought he had died. I was crying and we sat in our room for several minutes before he went down to check. Sam still wasn't moving. I went down and rubbed my finger on the tank next to him and his fins started moving a little. Then I saw his eye move. The he started swimming and trying to get his food. It was so weird. We decided that he wasn't looking good at all so if this was going to be his last meal, it should at least be shrimp since he loves those. I got some out and fed him like usual and he gobbled them up as usual. He was swimming after them and everything. After he ate, we watched him and he was swimming very spuraticly. It even looked like he was trying to jump up out of the water. He's hasn't done that since we first got him 9 mths. ago. We have a lid on the tank. He was sitting there still, and then he would swim really fast and dart around and then stop again. I decided to leave his light on until I could come back down to see what he was doing. I had to get our son to sleep. I just went back down about 30 min. ago and he's doing the same thing, although swimming around less. He's doing more of the sitting and not moving. It looks like I'm watching him fall asleep and then he jumps and his fins starting moving on the sides and he lifts his mouth out of the water for air then becomes still again. He's just doing that over and over. Although I just changed 50% of his water yesterday, I went ahead and changed 25% again and I put his castle back in. He had that until last week when I bought him a new sunken ship. I thought that might make him feel better at the time. But, like I said before, if this is his last night, I want him to be happy and comfortable with what he's always had.
I also noticed that the fin on the left side is looking worse too and when he's not moving, he has that one up against his side, and the other one is sticking out to the side as usual. I've never seem him sit like that with either of them tucked away like that. Then when he moves some to get air he puts it back out and it does move, but then he puts it back on his side.
So, if he makes it through the night, I really want to help him if that's possible. Like I said, I've used Maracyn twice and Fungus Eliminator twice and as you can see he's only gotten worse. Any help would be appreciated or any information about how he's acting now would be appreciated too.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 AM   #7 
Kim

Is your tank filtered/cycled?
When treating with the medications did you make sure to remove ALL the meds prior to putting in a new one?
Do his fins disappear all at once with intervals in between where they appear to be growing in, or do they just steadily disintegrate?
Is there any chance you could post a picture?
Do you use tap water conditioner when changing his water?

That's all I can think of for now. I'll try to be of as much help as possible as soon as I get a little more information.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #8 
amyw16

Exclamation

So he did make it through the night. I'm surprised. I've been told that they do try to get out of the water when they're dying. I don't know if that's true or not.

Yes, it is cycled, but I don't use a filter anymore b/c I change his water so frequently (50% every two days).

I did not clean out his whole tank after each med. It was about two weeks between meds so with the water changes during that time I didn't even think about any medicine still being in there.

His fins have rever showed any regrowth. They have always just kept getting worse.

Yes, I use AquaSafe water conditioner when I change his water.

I appreciate anything you can offer. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #9 
amyw16

I don't know how to post a picture. If you could tell me, I can try. I had trouble before posting one and someone told me about a site that I could download the pics to and then post the link, but I can't remember what that site was.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #10 
Livelifelaughlove

Do you have a mac? or windows? i only know how to load up from a mac...? maybe different
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote