Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 
invincible4372

My new betta Scratchy died

I got two bettas on June 23, 2013 at a local Petsmart in Philly. After a few days, both of them had ich and finrot and became very sick. This morning, their ich parasite seemed to have disappeared and I was waiting for them to be completely better. Scratchy stopped eating today and was extremely lethargic. He was barely responsive to my finger or the straw (poop-o-matic), which concerned me. I hope you don't call me fish-killer, but I must have heated his QT cup too much. And maybe I am a killer.
I'm writing as I look at Scratchy's lifeless body on the bottom of his QT cup. It's been such a short time since I've had him. Some may say, "It's just a fish. You can get another one" or "You can't possibly be attached to a fish you got almost a week ago." But I am. I got attached to both of them, but I'm sorry to say, Scratchy especially. Itchy practically hated me. Only responded when I had food. Scratchy would stare at me as I browsed the internet and swam through hoops. I still have water in his cup. So his tiny little soul can swim in there. And maybe he can come back.
He's such a pretty betta. The blue, violet, and red were such beautiful colors on him.
I'm so sorry, Scratchy. I should have been more careful and I should have been better to you.

And soon, I will get a new betta. Just like Scratchy. I want to help the poor fishies suffering in those little squares at Petsmart.
invincible4372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Don't worry, we understand here it's not just a fish, they're our friends and we want to help them in every way we can and give them glorious lives!

But on the bright side, you don't have to replace Scratchy but you can give another Betta a very deserving home and a live to live that might not get the chance to if you don't pick him up and take him home! That's how I look at it at least, so the best of luck with your little boys!

Feel free to ask us questions any time you need to, whether you think they're silly or not!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #3 
invincible4372

Thank you so much. It means a lot to me. Hopefully I'll be able to get another one. Probably when I get an apartment, and I dont have to hide them.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #4 
mybabyjets

why do you have to hide them
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyjets View Post
why do you have to hide them
Most likely parent's don't know about the fish and/or don't want them to get fish. It's pretty common actually and unfortunately. I smuggle fish into my house lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #6 
invincible4372

I currently live in a dorm, where pets are not allowed.

Last night, my boyfriend flushed Scratchy down the toilet for me. I was a little too upset to let him go and I was glad he did it for me. If he didn't come over, I would have kept his lifeless body with me for too long. I'm sure Scratchy wouldn't have wanted that. I was crying constantly and everything reminds me of him. Especially little Itchy swimming around by himself without his neighbor (They do NOT live in the same tank).

Last edited by invincible4372; 07-04-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #7 
ismintis

I'm so sorry for your loss :( At least your boyfriend helped with the worst part. These little fish become a huge part in our lives and we usually don't notice it until they are gone...but they wouldn't want us to be sad; they are in a better place while we can rescue another betta in need. :)
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #8 
invincible4372

I hope the year goes by fast so I can move out. I can't wait till I get another rescue.