Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #1 
kbraucci

When to set up/cycle breeding tank?

Hi,
I have been searching the Internet and no one seems to state when to set up a tank for breeding? Meaning...I have the male and the female will be arriving soon, plus a back up female to breed. I was wondering when should I set up the breeding tank for breeding (how many days before) and then subsequently raising the fry in the same 20 gallon tank and then I have the barracks set up for after that? A few days, a couple weeks? I have a 10 gallon tank that has driftwood and moss on it I want to add to the 20 gallon tank also with almond leaves etc. How many days before i should start the 20 gallon breeding/fry tank?
Any suggestions would be appreciated :)
kbraucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #2 
Myates

I set the breeding tank up the day I am planning to introduce the pair.. don't cycle or attempt, as with the multiple water changes needed, etc, it will just crash and kill all the fry. So I set mine up that day with fresh water, and then place the fish in the tank.

You move the fry from the breeding tank (as it's generally more ideal to breed them in a 10g or smaller) once they are at least 4 (I prefer closer to 6) weeks of age OR they are close to half an inch.. don't have a ruler here next to me to say what size exactly.. You can set up the grow out tank the day you move them if you wish.. or prior. Just know that at first you'll be doing more frequent/large water changes (as they get older it gets less frequent, such as every 3-4 days), so you will want to be careful about trying to cycle that as well. Some people have success with it, but those are people who have a lot of experience. I personally (if the tank is broken down) will set it up the day I transfer.. use some of the water from their fry tank for the transfer.

As for jarring.. you're going to want to wait until they are about 8 weeks.. depending upon size of course (sizes of fry growth changes greatly depending upon what you feed and water changes - feeding those micro worm cultures will result in slow growth vs BBS, etc).. I personally wait until they start to fight (not just flaring and eye balling each other, as they do play fight to learn), but once they are going after each other to hurt, or doing it nonstop - but I keep them in as long as possible so they get some body size on them, and once they are moved to the individual containers they will start to grow their fins out much more.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #3 
kbraucci

How do you move the fry when they are that young since they will be tiny? A cup? A net? Thank you for your advice :)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #4 
Myates

They won't be too tiny when you move them, they should be 1/2" approx or even bigger.. you decide when they start outgrowing their tank based upon how many are in the spawn :) I use those 32oz clear deli cups.. fill it with a little bit of water and then use the shrimp nets to catch them and gently place them in the cup (usually just put it in the cup and encourage them to swim out of the net). I will then remove a good portion of the water from the cup and place a lid on it.. float it in the grow out tank for 20-30 minutes, which during you will place some of the tank water in the grow out into the cups.. they are pretty hardy for the most part, as long as it's not a sudden change in temp/chemistry, they should be fine.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #5 
kbraucci

Okay. I get it. Thank you so much for the tips. Now I have an idea of what I need to do for the breeding and spawning tank :) For my first time at breeding Bettas, I am trying to do the right thing, and the best way that I can.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #6 
crowntail betta lover

i have a question what do you do with the baby bettas sell them?
crowntail betta lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #7 
kbraucci

It depends on each individual person/breeder really. Some breed to sell, some to show their fish, some breed to create certain characteristics out of their line or to make their line better, or all of the above at one time... Some people breed Bettas for something to do and they really don't take the time to research how much work is involved and that maybe... they should not try breeding at all. I am new to this myself, but I think I put the time in and studied enough to know what I am getting myself into and what I plan on doing with the babies. Hope that gives you some insight into my thoughts as a newbie :)