betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Np
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #12 
invincible4372

My dorm is burning hot right now (the school doesn't have A/C units installed in them;don't ask why). I have a unit in my room, because the dorm is a apartment style, while I'm in the room, I keep Itchy in there with me, and when I leave, Itchy stays in the living room, where it gets hot. Hopefully, Itchy will get the new equipment soon. I want to see him swim around freely. However, I think he gets a little nervous in large tanks, and has to get used to them. The first few days (alone without Scratchy), he was extremely nervous and unsettled. He's okay now.
I'm a little reluctant to use heat, because the reason why Scratchy died was because of the high temperature of his water.
invincible4372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Betta's need heat around 78-80 degree's but can tolorate up to 90-ish degree's.

In fact, it's not the size of the tank that he's scared of, it's how much open space he's in. He could be in a 46 gallon tank that's extremely planted and be totally and completely happy in there or he could be in a 3 gallon that has virtually no plants (whether real or fake) and no hides and become extremely unsettled and not enjoying anything. So if you can, get him some fake plants, get silk not plastic though. Plastic is notorious for shredding Betta fins.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #14 
invincible4372

Hmm... I have plastic ones only. I filed and clipped any harsh edges. Would that still be bad?
Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #15 
NickZac

Live plants are a good way to go...some anubius varieties are as hard to kill as mint and they aid water quality. They are usually less expensive than fake plants and easy-to-keep varieties don't need much. Plastic plants that are not made of silk or other fabric are notorious for damaging slime coatings, as noted (and a fish's slime coating is the equivalent of our immune system, in crude terms).
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #16 
invincible4372

I'll try to get silk/real plants as soon as possible. Do you have any ideas on DIY caves for Itchy?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Terracotta pots, I cut mine in half but it's kind of difficult to do if you don't have a saw or something,

Terracotta half with java moss tied:

My split 10 with the terracotta halves:
Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #18 
NickZac

I like the caves used for breeding with smoothed edges and smoothed surfaces made from ceramic, clay, driftwood, or plastic...breeding caves are generally made to not have sharp edges given the close contact the fish will have when in them. Without a doubt tho, the fish-favorite is PVC piping. Loaches LOVE PVC...at one point I had a tank with 10 clown loaches all over 10 inches and hella fat whom could all fit inside of a 4 inch thick and 12 inch long PVC pipe together...never knew quite how they all fit, but even tho there were multiple pieces of PVC, they always hung out together in just 1 in clown-car formation. I used slate, Maylasian (sp) drift wood, and aquarium silicone to make the PVC covered and a little less sterile looking. Also as noted, flower pots!!!!

This is one of the popular styles of breeding caves...another plus is that these caves are generally cheap compared to some of the decorations in Petco or PetSmart which are ridiculously expensive.
http://www.vakind.info/img/worldtechon/ft/wo36901on.jpg
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #19 
invincible4372

I really want to get Itchy a cave. (Still having a little trouble referring to Itchy as him instead of them. Like Scratchy is still alive) He has been the most jumpy and gets nervous around new areas, even if I moved the tank two inches.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #20 
LittleBlueFishlets

+1 on using PVC pipe as a cave. You can pick up PVC Coupler pieces at a home improvement store (Home Depot, Lowe's) for about 60 cents. Look in the Plumbing section.

You can also use a ceramic coffee cup.

And +1 on using small terra cotta pots. However, you'll need to either remove the bottoms, or plug up the holes so the fish can't get stuck. I use the smallest size pots available. (They cost 25 cents each at Walmart.)

To remove the bottoms:
1) Put them in hot water and let them soak overnight.
2) Then, chip off the bottom. To do this, hold a screwdriver where you want to make a break. GENTLY tap the top of the screwdriver with a hammer. (Gently!)
3) While the terracotta is still wet/soft, use Fine grained sand paper to sand down all rough and jagged edges.

Or, you can plug up the holes. To do this:
1) Get "aquarium safe" silicone. (Lowe's has the Loctite brand for about $3.50.)
2) Fill the hole with silicone. Let dry for at LEAST 24 hours.

You can also make a floating mesh cave.
1) Pick up a sheet of plastic craft mesh at a store like Micheal's.
2) Cut a section of the mesh and roll it into a tube. (Make sure it's large enough that the fish can't get stuck!)
3) Trim off all sharp edges.
4) You can seal the tube by sewing it shut with white thread, or fishing line. Or you can use heat to melt the edges together.

Here's a thread that shows how to make the floating mesh tubes, and may give you some other cave & decoration ideas, too: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=141777

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 07-05-2013 at 11:19 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote