Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #1 
imlandys

Epsom salt treatment-HELP AGAIN

I post a thread on saturday title HELP and was given instructions to treat my betta with a epson salt treatment because they thought he may be pineconing. I also asked if the salt treatment would hurt my ghost shrimp, never received and answer so I thought it would be ok. Well I started this treatment yesterday and today my shrimp is dead. Now I am wondering if this will also kill my betta? My betta is now swimming only at the top and still not eating. I am scared to continue with the salt treatment because of what happen to my shrimp? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Here is the original pic of my betta (Mr. Wubbers)
Attached Images

imlandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #2 
sainthogan

I'm sorry no one replied. Epsom salts and Aquarium salts should never be used with shrimp, snails, or anything else with a shell. I'm sorry that happened. Your Betta will be fine as long as you are using plain Epsom salts, no perfumes or dyes or anything like that added to it.
I am currently using Epsom salts in my male's tank, for about 2 weeks now because he has chronic constipation and suffers frequently from swim bladder disorder. He is doing fine, but still having a little trouble swimming. It can take a while sometimes.

Last edited by sainthogan; 07-03-2013 at 12:34 AM.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #3 
Narny105

Hi, and sorry about your shrimp.

He does look pineconed from that picture, so you will need to treat as well alongside the epsom. Are you able to get metronidazole powder or kanaplex?

Could you also please answer the questions at the top of the diseases forum?

If you can, please also post a top-view photo of your betta

Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #4 
imlandys

Can I get those at petco or petsmart or do I have to get them online?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #5 
imlandys

What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? not now it is 111 where I live
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? he did have one ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? blood worms changed 3 days ago to omega pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 3 or 4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta start stuff and something else sorry dont know name I am at work right now

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes with test strips and they always look good

mptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? pic looks like pineconing but when i look at him I dont see it.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not eating or swimming much
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? epson salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? bought him from walmart 2-24-13
Old 07-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #6 
imlandys

sorry couldnt get a pic of him from above camara not so good and he wont stop moving
Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #7 
NickZac

Salt + freshwater fish = not good. It can be used temporarily, but it is not very effective, is very unsafe, and medium-long term usage will cause organ damage.

If the fish is pineconing (like this http://www.kindaikoi.co.uk/images/categories/C134.jpg ) that often means abdominal dropsy, which unfortunately is not very treatable. It is a gram negative bacterial infection. Many protocols call for use of salt when this occurs. It originated with koi. There is very little evidence to suggest it does anything whatsoever to help. Many articles say to treat with salt and the prognosis is poor...which isn't exactly accurate. The general course of action is an extended treatment of kanamycin sulfate or a combination of kanamycin and doxycycline...somewhere between 2-4 weeks. The problem, however, is that internal damage often occurs with the change in internal pressure, which is not reversible and often means that even if the infection is cured, the effects of the infection may still be fatal. :( However, if the infection is caught early and treated with antibiotics promptly, full recovery is possible.

The first thing that needs to be done is to determine the cause. It is usually due to water parameters which as inappropriate for the fish. If parameters are not good and stay uncorrected, the disease will almost surely be fatal.
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Epsom salt is different than aquarium salt, and epsom salts can be used for an indefinite amount of time, while aquarium salt can be used for a maximum of 14 days. This is because Epsom salts aren't salts at all, it's magnesium sulfate, which has lots of safe uses in and outside the tank, whereas aquarium salt is salt, and freshwater fish don't tolerate salt for very long.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #9 
imlandys

ok so now im worried again. Yes or no with the epsom salt???? omg I dont want to kill him
Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #10 
imlandys

If he had dropsy wouldnt his abdomen be swollen? because it is not.