Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #1 
Saphira101

Exclamation Help with Popeye and fin rot/tailbiting?

Hey guys, my betta Forte has had popeye since I purchased him. I have been treating it with 1 tsp/gal of epsom salt, doing 100% water changes every other day. The thing is, I haven't noticed any improvement with his eyes.
Here's when I got him, 6/2/13

And yesterday, 7/2/13:
Name:  photo(55).jpg
Views: 127
Size:  49.2 KB

His eyes have always been a bit cloudy, but he can still see fairly well. Could he be going blind?

Also, can I increase his salt dosage? I know that I'm using a rather low dose at the moment.

Thanks for all of your help!
Saphira
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Is he a dragonscale? I can't see his scales very well. When maturing, some dragonscales develop scales over their eyes which cause partial or full blindness. Hope he isn't going blind. :I And you can increase his Epsom dosage, up to 3 teaspoons. Just make sure you do it slowly, the pH of the water may shift quickly. Good luck..
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #3 
Saphira101

Thank you Lebron.

I was told that he's not a dragonscale, but do you think he might be? Here's a video of him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVE16yR-UAU

I think he's been fin biting lately, because his fins are looking a bit more ragged. I'm not worried though, as I'm sure he'll be fine as long as I keep his water clean.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #4 
NickZac

He appears to have abdominal dropsy. The scales are flared outwards, and both eyes are protruding. If he has this, he needs an antibiotic with activity against gram negative organisms, such as kanamycin. :(
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:04 AM   #5 
Saphira101

His scales have always looked like this, since I purchased him over a month ago. He did have a horrid bacterial infection when I bought him, though I didn't know it until a week later. I treated him with Maracyn and Maracyn Two (both gram negative and gram positive antibiotics), and he went from half-dead and floating on his side to back to normal and blowing bubblenests in a matter of days. I am almost positive that he does not have dropsy.

Last edited by Saphira101; 07-04-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #6 
NickZac

Are scales like that common with bettas? It may just be the angle that makes them appear flared. Maracyn is good medication...between One and Two they seem to handle virtually everything. Did all symptoms go away with the treatment of Maracyns and then returned after treatment ended?
NickZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #7 
Saphira101

What do you mean? The eyes never changed and his scales always looked like that, but he stopped having swim bladder issues, started eating, and became less lethargic within three days.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

His scales are flat, I'm sure he doesn't have dropsy.

By the video, I can see his "inner coat" of scales on his head. He seems to be a dragonscale, or at least in his genes. If the treatment doesn't work within the 12-14 day mark, then those are his scales over his eyes. Do you know how to deal with partially/fully blind bettas?
Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #9 
Saphira101

I've read a bit...

I'd probably feed pellets soaked in garlic juice like NLS, and keep him in a tank where I wouldn't have to do 100% water changes, and where the decor stays the same all the time. That's all I can think of. :/
Old 07-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, that's what I've read a little bit about, too. I think you also can't do skittish movements because of shadows. He'll feel any slight touch of the surface so maybe he'll sense you feeding him or some sort like that.

You still say he can see just enough. Good luck with him, whatever issue he has with his eyes!