Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #1 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
How do you guys cool your tanks?

I'd like to hear some of the other methods people have come up with for cooling their aquariums in summer. I know bettas are tropical, but there is too warm and it can be just as bad as too cold.

Its summer where I am and can sometimes get pretty toasty pretty quick in my room which relies on fans to keep cool. Moving my aquariums to the one room with air conditioning is not an option though it would be ideal. This summer has already been a little warm, and the fans aren't cutting it by themselves. I'm dealing with a new betta who stresses out if the tank temperature goes over 82 by even a degree and I have discovered that he is a biter when he gets too warm. Never had this problem til the tank got toasty one morning when the night failed to cool.

That said I've gone to putting filtered water ice cubes in the filter compartment during the real hot part of the day. Keeps the fish from coming into direct contact with the ice and circulates nice and evenly so I don't just get a cold spot. My planted tank is a little bit more complicated to cool, needed to move my bubble stone (water movement mostly) under the bag and make a mesh containment cube to keep the fish from getting too close. Best part about this method is that I have a little bit of water to fight the inevitable summer evaporation process.

So, how do you do it?
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't have this problem (one bonus of living "up north), but I have heard of people putting fans so that they blow directly over the surface of the water, increasing evaporation and thus causing evaporative cooling.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #3 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
I live in New York state. Canada is the next step to further north. Hmmm
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #4 
whatsupyall

Either the aforementioned, or throw an ice pack into the tank. Cover the ice pack well first.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

Most of mine are in my garage. It's been closed in so it's just another room now but there isn't and central a/c yet. I live in FLorida and the water temp can be 85 degrees sometimes in there. I have a fan to keep the air moving and all the tanks have air stones. Every body does just fine and I have a llllloooootttt if fish in there.
The fish outside do fine too and some of their containers get to 90 degrees during the day. I think air/water movement helps but I also find they do fine in higher temps.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #6 
sarahspins

Using a fan can cool the tank :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
Most of mine are in my garage. It's been closed in so it's just another room now but there isn't and central a/c yet. I live in FLorida and the water temp can be 85 degrees sometimes in there. I have a fan to keep the air moving and all the tanks have air stones. Every body does just fine and I have a llllloooootttt if fish in there.
The fish outside do fine too and some of their containers get to 90 degrees during the day. I think air/water movement helps but I also find they do fine in higher temps.
I agree. I live in the second floor so it's warm, though maybe not garage warm . The tanks get to 82-83 in the summer - the fish do fine.

I know it's often suggested, but I'm going to question the practice of cooling the tank with ice packs. Unless one were to spend the day replacing ice packs as the melt, it would seem like there would be several temperature fluctuations. Especially in small tanks - yes they are easier to cool than large tanks, but they are also easier to heat up. Small tanks are much more susceptible to temperature fluctuations as it is, I would think using ice packs to bring the temp down would put the fish more at risk, unless of course the temperature is monitored constantly, and who has time for that? And even if one had time to do that for a day, what about tomorrow, an the next day, and the day after that?

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #8 
xxRho

You can buy little fans that attach to the aquarium to keep it cool.
Also the higher the temperature the less oxygen the water holds so maybe he is annoyed because the oxygen in the water isn't as high?

Also try and insulate the aquarium which can help with fluctuations.
Or you could put him in the bathroom (if there isn't a shower).

Otherwise I'd just do what others have been suggesting.

I live in Australia so I get the same problem.
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

Bettas are MORE than capable of managing low oxygen water, being a labyrinth fish.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Is your fish showing signs of stress? I'm in NYC, and my water has been 90F lately duing the day. But the betta seems as happy as ever. the nerite, howeer comes up for occasionally for air...
unless your fish is showing stressed behaviour.

On fluctuations, bettas tend to handle fluctuations much better when the fluctuation happens in warmer waters. In the wild temperature fluctuations are normal. but usually between tropical temperatures, and not from warm to cold

Last edited by ao; 07-04-2013 at 10:16 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote