Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I've heard of a betta being at 96 degrees for 24hrs+ when a heater malfunctioned... Not ideal, and not *safe* long term, but bettas are hardy fish...

The op said the fish stresses at anything over 82.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

oh silly me. Lol
is he showing stress stipes? some fish bite at warmer temperatures due to the need for increased activity. but larger finnage tends to drag them down, so they bite it off....
do you set your light tocome on during the day? if so try switching it so that it comes on at night instea and shuts off during the day.... this tends to keep small tank cooler
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #13 
Flyby Stardancer

My house was getting really hot in the recent heat wave, no AC here! What I did was set up a 6" fan next to the tank to blow into that area, and then placed a frozen 1 gallon bottle of water behind it as the temp started to rise. The frozen bottle cooled down the air being pulled into the fan, and the fan then blew the chilled air over the tank. The gallon container frozen solid thaws slower than a smaller amount of water, meaning it will last longer. :) You just have to have something beneath it to catch condensation! This setup kept my tank about 10 degrees cooler than it was getting in the house (and it was getting up to 96-98 degrees in the room the tank's in!).
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #14 
xxRho

@jaysee - I know that lol I was just wondering if he was a sensitive to lower oxygen because he is sensitive to anything over 82... just trying to cover all the bases because where Betta splendens are native to it gets hotter then that sometimes so it may not be the temperature alone that stresses him and even so when stressed the body requires more oxygen so it may help? (I don't know how stressed he looks)
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #15 
Mr2KiEu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
My house was getting really hot in the recent heat wave, no AC here! What I did was set up a 6" fan next to the tank to blow into that area, and then placed a frozen 1 gallon bottle of water behind it as the temp started to rise. The frozen bottle cooled down the air being pulled into the fan, and the fan then blew the chilled air over the tank. The gallon container frozen solid thaws slower than a smaller amount of water, meaning it will last longer. :) You just have to have something beneath it to catch condensation! This setup kept my tank about 10 degrees cooler than it was getting in the house (and it was getting up to 96-98 degrees in the room the tank's in!).
Great Idea!

I usually throw a small frozen solid water bottle in the tank and that helps cool the tank down. Replace as needed through out the day. It'll last longer than ice cubes.
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #16 
Flyby Stardancer

I don't use ice cubes either. Those have so much surface area (compared to their volume) that that they melt in no time! That's part of why larger solid blocks of ice melt slower. :)
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 AM   #17 
Iorek

I'm living in the real hot place.

Day - 45 - 50 Celcius
Night - 30 - 35 Celcius

What I do is, bought little computer fans for 1$ each
Placed them on the aquarium and soldered them to 12V adapter.

My water wax 34 Celcius(160Liters tank) after 9 hours water was 23Celcius and stopped decreasing.

The bad part of this method is you fasten the evoporation, so you have to add water weekly or else your water level will be half of the usual in two weeks :)
Iorek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #18 
feralhound

I found a really great article on how to cool your tank!

http://pooperscoopin.tumblr.com/post...er-hot-outside

Quote:
For many, it’s beginning to get super hot outside as well as inside. For those with tropical fish, the change probably hasn’t been so bad yet. But now with creeping temperatures, things are too hot for comfort.

Here’s a guide on how to safely lower the temperature in your fish tanks!

First, determine the needs of your individual fish species in the tank. Some fish, like goldfish and minnows, require cold water.Other fish like betta splendens, otos, and tetras are tropical/warm water. This will determine just how un-warm you’ll need to make your tank. Remember, cold water and tropical fish should generally not live together (no bettas and goldies, etc.)

First thing to try: Too warm? Turn you heater off.
Remember to label it so you can easily plug it back in. Many non-adjustable heaters unfortunately will heat a tank to 80’F, so unplugging allows the temperature to stay lower, longer. Caution: if the weather gets cooler or you have AC, the heater should be returned.

Two: Open the tank’s feeding flap if it has one.
This allows some heat to escape and keeps the tank cooler.

Three: Reverse the light schedule.
You don’t need to kill any live plants or sacrifice seeing your fish illuminated just because of the heat. Instead, flip the schedule: put lights on at night and leave them off in the heat of the day. If a harsh heat spell is coming, opt to leave them totally off for a few days. If you have live plants, the switch may cause mild algae.

Four: Remove your filter’s cap or the filter
Some filters do not have caps, but if they do, consider taking yours off. It allows more heat to escape, especially if it does not have/have many slats. If you have a smaller tank and/or the tank is not cycled, consider turning off the filter as they often generate a good deal of heat. Filters like the Tetra Whisper 3i do not generate significant amounts of heat. Note: do not do this unless you have a betta!

Five: Add an airstone or bubbler.
More surface movement allows a greater amount of heat to leave the water. It’s also helpful to do if you have fish that are not labyrinth fish (most fish!!) as warmer water has less oxygen in it.

Six: Increase water current and rippling.
Like with the bubbler, slightly lowering your water level to allow for a greater “waterfall" with the filter will help release more heat and increase the amount of oxygen in the water. You can also angle a baffle to allow for more ripples.

Seven: Pop the top!
If it is safe to do so (as in, for pets and kids!), prop the top of your tank open. Be careful! Things will often fall in and it is tricky to keep them open the greater the prop. Anything used to prop the tank open should be fish and water safe!!

If the tank allows….
Open the top completely!

If the tank can’t be easily propped open, instead skew the lid as much as is safely possible. This is not advised if your fish are jumpers or if it has a possibility of falling in!

Eight: Use a fan to chill the filter.
Be careful! This may not be safe on many filters. Do not turn the filter on high; only on low!! This method helps chill the water where it is becoming very hot— the motor in a filter generates heat.

Nine: Use a low-powered fan when the heat is at its worst.

DO:
Turn a small fan on and angle in a way that does not point AT the water, but instead over it. This helps push the heat away from the tank. Opt for the water to ripple very little and keep the power on low. If you only have a larger fan, keep it on low and farther away.

DON’T:
Don’t angle the fan so that it points down to the water; you want it to graze above it for maximum heat removal.

NEVER EVER:
NEVER use Ice, ice packs, or cooler/cold water to bring down the heat in a tank!! These will cause big swings in temperature very quickly, which can stress and kill fish. Even if the water was gently brought down with these methods, it will swing back to warmer too quickly. Never use any of these methods!!

Hopefully this helps in these warmer months. Remember to use common sense and be safe with cords, propping, kids, and pets. Never allow a tank to become too cool too quickly!

Happy warm days!
feralhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #19 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
oh silly me. Lol
is he showing stress stipes? some fish bite at warmer temperatures due to the need for increased activity. but larger finnage tends to drag them down, so they bite it off....
do you set your light tocome on during the day? if so try switching it so that it comes on at night instea and shuts off during the day.... this tends to keep small tank cooler
He is not showing stress lines, I've just noticed what appears to be bite damage whenever the tank temperature climbs over a certain point. He's been healing up since I've taken extra measures to keep the tank down to the low 80s :]

Switching my light cycle around is a brilliant idea by the way! I honestly didn't think of that, I'll have to try it. Thank you ^^
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote