Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #1 
BettaLover1313

Shark Week

Anyone else super happy that Shark Week has started?!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I saw a commercial about Snuffy the Seal. I was lmao on that one, no matter how sorry I felt bad for the seal. lol

Life.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #3 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I saw a commercial about Snuffy the Seal. I was lmao on that one, no matter how sorry I felt bad for the seal. lol

Life.
I laughed as well, and my mom gave me such a look lol. Watching the late night show but thinking that I'm just going to get some shut eye so I can watch the more interesting shows of Shark Week tomorrow
Old 08-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #4 
nel3

I don't particularly like shark week at times. sure some commercials are great and they have some informative educational shows on sharks. then there is the reinforcements that sharks are evil and inherently dangerous to be around ie the Jaws movie. they also have these ridiculous B class movies playing. sharktopus, 2 headed shark, sharknado to name some of the stupid ones
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #5 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
I don't particularly like shark week at times. sure some commercials are great and they have some informative educational shows on sharks. then there is the reinforcements that sharks are evil and inherently dangerous to be around ie the Jaws movie. they also have these ridiculous B class movies playing. sharktopus, 2 headed shark, sharknado to name some of the stupid ones
I don't think I've ever seen Discovery air those movies. Syfy does, but I'm not particularly fond of any of those. I don't recall a show insinuating that sharks are evil an inherently dangerous though, just creatures to be respected and that are very misunderstood.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #6 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen Discovery air those movies. Syfy does, but I'm not particularly fond of any of those. I don't recall a show insinuating that sharks are evil an inherently dangerous though, just creatures to be respected and that are very misunderstood.
I don't think any programs show them as cold blooded killers anymore though they did do that in around "Jaws". times have changed though one radio ad did annoy the hell of me. it basically said there was a dangerous culprit on the loose named great white out to kill seals. sure they do eat seals though the intonation of the add did irk me the most.

I like shark very much though I don't particuarlly want to be on receiving end of the bite. they're very misunderstood and you mentioned much like most alpha predators on land ie tigers, bears wolves etc.

as for those stupid movies, I didn't see sharknado's title was enough to disqualify it. the others are just cheap movies and I do watch quite a few Syfy B movies.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #7 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
I don't think any programs show them as cold blooded killers anymore though they did do that in around "Jaws". times have changed though one radio ad did annoy the hell of me. it basically said there was a dangerous culprit on the loose named great white out to kill seals. sure they do eat seals though the intonation of the add did irk me the most.

I like shark very much though I don't particuarlly want to be on receiving end of the bite. they're very misunderstood and you mentioned much like most alpha predators on land ie tigers, bears wolves etc.
Yeah, though Jaws was unintentional (at least the book was) the author didn't want to cause such hysteria and shark-hunts that occurred after the film. That radio add would annoy me as well.

You won't every find me in the ocean! I love their predatory beauty, just like I love the predatory beauty of all the examples you gave, but I don't want to be near them! Admiring from afar is more my taste!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #8 
nel3

I love predatory animals for their beauty and the important roles they play in the food chain. squid are multiplying like rabbits BC whales and sharks are in numbers that are too low to control. deer have bears, wolves and other predators to keep them in check. wolves managed to repopulate Yellowstone as they kill the large herbivores that overgrazed.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #9 
BettaLover1313

Quote:
I love predatory animals for their beauty and the important roles they play in the food chain. squid are multiplying like rabbits BC whales and sharks are in numbers that are too low to control. deer have bears, wolves and other predators to keep them in check. wolves managed to repopulate Yellowstone as they kill the large herbivores that overgrazed.
All very true! I just wish that some people weren't so narrow-minded to think "It's scary/I don't understand it so I have to eliminate it!"
Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #10 
nel3

aliens must be laughing in their seats looking at the folly in which humans try to control everything when its plain to see the opposite situation is the truth.