Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #21 
Nataku

Females bettas go together in sororities, that is, in a group of four or more females. With just the two, one will constantly pick on the other if they are stuck together until one or both dies. So if it's only the two, then no, I'd keep them separated. Also, a two gallon tank is on the small side for even one betta, for two it is definately not sufficient. A sorority really should be kept in nothing smaller than a 10 gallon due to the amount of fish that need to be housed together.

The heater is of vital importance right now for these bettas. 62 is way, way too cold for them. 78 to 82 is their preferred temperature range, so if you can, try to pick up a heater for them as soon as possible.

I'd speak with Chicklet for further information on female sororities, I'd say she's currently our resident expert on the topic with more experience than the rest of us in that matter. You may also try checking out this topic
http://www.fishforum.com/betta-fish-...pushing-22982/
for more information too.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #22 
BettaPerson

could you get a tank divider if you put the female and male together?
BettaPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, you could put them in the same tank with a divider.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #24 
AudaciousDream

I've had a male betta for about a year and he is acting funny lately so I thought he might be lonely. I only have him in a 1 gallon bowl. I decided to get him a female betta today and put them together. They were fine but she seemed frightened and hid under a shell the whole day so I decided to place her in her own bowl until I decide further what to do. Do you think it was a bad decision to isolate them once they were together, if i plan on placing them together again once I get them a bigger home?
AudaciousDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would most definitely keep them separated. The female hid because the male was probably harrassing her.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #26 
Chicklet

If she's hiding, She's telling you something you need to listen too,
She will wind up dead, It's only a matter of time.

You wanna give him company then do it in two different tanks beside each other,
At least one won't have to die that way.

Alot seem to use one tank with dividers, But personally I don't feel secure enough using dividers,

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-17-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #27 
Haeclark

meh...chicklet and dramaqueen, you two are being over-dramatic Betta parents!
I say if you want to place them back together, then you'll definatly need a larger tank. You cant have a betta with anything else in a 1 gallon, which is puchig it for even your one betta alone. Sure he can surevive...but woould you prefer a small home that needs water changing every 2-3 days without risk of living in your own filth?
I too started with only 1 male VT betta, and got him a female crown tale as an insentive to get better.
What I did was kept them seperate for about 4 days, until I got a divider [made one from plastic with holes drilled for ventilation / water flow.
After divideing their tank in two, I kept them in their own side for roughly / near 2 weeks, until they actually started to get in each others sides. Started with them switching sides, then next day, they were just together in same side. So since they were both fine, and obviously with each other, I just took it out. Seems that was suficiant time for them to get use to and like each other.
Of coure they had a peck or two here and there, but was mostly at that time around feeding, and if she shadowed him too oftin. Otherwise, I there was enough space and tank decoration that they left each other alone. At that time, they were the only residents of my 10 gal. tank.
About 1 month after they had been together, they tried to breed. But since I didnt remove her, the eggs didnt hatch.
Then after about another month, I moved them into my guppy tank...another thing youll hear people say NOT to do. BUT, the only fish the betta's killed were the guppy babies they like to eat...one reason I put them in there...population control.

you cant believe everything you hear...not all bettas are the same. Your betta might be a fighter, but then again, he might not be. If you keep him in a small tank, odds are he might hurt her. If you get a 5 or 10 gal tank, I believe they should be fine...just remeber to give them their own caves, and plant foliage.

I have plenty of pics and vids to prove my point too ;D
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #28 
Chicklet

1 fish, two fish, No point proven, get a majority then come back,

Putting males with females is a recipe for disaster,
A disaster that can happen in a blink, (the smaller the tank the quicker the disaster will happen)
So I guess if your not worried about losing the fish, Go for it,
But don't come crying about it afterwords if it doesn't go as you planned or thought.,
You knew the consequences.

Ignorance is bliss, So they say.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #29 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Chicklet 100%.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:30 AM   #30 
Haeclark

then you didn't get the message of my post.
The Betta's themselves have been together now for over 3 months...obviously no deaths.
As for majority...they are with over 20 other guppies, and still no deaths aside from the eaten baby guppies, that also get eaten from their own kind.

So...ya. I still say that not all Betta's are alike, and if a larger tank is purchased and right precautions taken, such as divider for awhile, then I still say it can be done, because it has been!

Obviously if kept in the 1 gallon tank a death would occur...I never said that wouldn't happen, and also said no Betta should be kept in only a 1 gallon tank for it's whole life. That just makes for a lazy owner's excuse for laziness :/

Ultimately, there are only 3 individuals that can say in this matter: the 2 Bettas and their owner. If he gets another larger tank, and a divider so they can get use to each other first, it's only them who can say 100% if they are the types of Betta's with personalities that can get along with other Bettas.

Here are two links of videos of my Bettas both before and after the move to the guppy tank...see for yourself how "dangerous" it really is: [sorry for low quality...taken by cell-cam]
before move, 10 gal tank:
Blue and Red :: feeding time - 10 gal tank video by haeclark - Photobucket
after the move into the guppy 15 gallon tank:
Blue and Red :: community tank - general No3 video by haeclark - Photobucket
Pics:
Red: http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...d/Image047.jpg
Blue: http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...d/Image050.jpg
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote