Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #31 
Kim

I agree with Chicklet and dramaqueen. That is a receipe for disaster. Even if it doesn't happen right away they could snap at any time. Plus, I would rather have 2 happy bettas than 2 bettas that tolerate eachother in a stressed manner. I find that males and females do fine together in a DIVIDED tank where they can show off for eachother but each has their own territory and no one gets hurt. It seems to provide them with stimulation in a safe environment, but I also put plants near the divider so that they don't have to see eachother all the time, and the divider is not clear so they can only see eachother if they come up close and look throught the holes (it's made of craft canvas).

Haeclark: I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I did notice from your videos that your female has definite stress stripes and your male has nipped fins.

I still would not recommend it- period.

Last edited by Kim; 04-30-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #32 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't do it either. I wouldn't want my fish stressed out for no reason at all.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-30-2009 at 06:26 PM.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:46 AM   #33 
Haeclark

Blue's tail damage was majority from fin rot...as said in prior post.
Red has never "shredded" Blue, nor has the new females that have been in there for near 2 weeks. Only tail pecking witnessed was during mating, and a nip or two when the peaking order of the 3 new females being introduced was established...non being life threatening or they would not be together now.

To see what I mean, I posted a video + pic of Blue in his 10 gal tank before I got Red, showing his first/ bad case of fin rot that he was still recovering when Red was introduced...Ill restat that they did in fact have a divider at first, for nearly 2 weeks. Reason I removed it: they wanted to be together! 3 days in a row after 2 weeks of the divider they would hop the divider to be with each other...no signs of aggression or wounds]
Blue fin rot video
Blue finrot pic [I had never dealt with it before when took video, so was a bit unsure at time...luckily cause was determined, and after a few attempts, found a water combination that didnt result in fin rot]

People can believe what they want, and what they do with their fish is their own buisness...I know my Bettas are fine together, therefor when people state that all Bettas cannot live together it's just asking for someone like me to replie to counter your statment, proving you wronge.

I like to go to Betta Talk oftin for majority of my Betta information. It is run by a Betta owner / breeder that has many years of experience [quite the list actually] and even had been approached by names such as Animal Planet for Betta info / documentaries or interviews / videos.

I think those who disagree with pairing Bettas needs to read the info in this link: original link
(Chicklet, you should find this interesting with your failed combined Betta sex tank:
Quote:
A breeder friend of mine was marveling at my large 60 gal community tank, housing about 40 adult bettas, mostly females but also three large males. He couldn’t believe they weren’t killing each other!
perhaps you should look into these types / species of Bettas!)

The 3 main things I'd like to end this post with and thought people should read was:
Quote:
When kept in a community tank, bettas will establish a pecking order. One dominant fish will boss everyone else...usually a large male or female...known as the “ALPHA” fish. As long as that fish is in the tank, there will be pretty much, peace. Remove that fish, or add new bettas to the tank, and the pecking order has to be established all over again. Fights arise, bettas fins are frayed, and for a week or so, the whole fragile balance is threatened. Eventually, it settles down, and peace returns.
-Peace definatly in my tank...pecking order established!
Quote:
Bettas, as I said have their personalities and their moods. They even experience depression. A betta that has always lived with other bettas and suddenly gets jarred might go into depression if isolated. A male who just spawned and was pulled out of the spawning tank will often “sulk”. He will let himself starve to death.
-Blue and Red showed signs of this today during water change, when removed into their own bowls, seperated from each other and main tank while water temp warming.
Quote:
So there you go. There is a lot more to bettas than you thought.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:47 AM   #34 
Haeclark

on another note...thought people might find this interesting:

Quote:
The lines mean nothing, its the overall colour that you need to look at. Most fish when they are ready to breed change colours, look at the African Cichlids as a perfect example. With Bettas the best way is to look for the ovipositor, which is the fish's reproduction organs, THAT is the best way to be 100% certain she is ready to breed. They are located in front of the anal fin (thats the fin on the bottom right in front of the tail) and looks like a little white tube sticking out maybe a millimeter or two. Look for the International Betta Congress's website and talk to them, ESPECIALLY Dr. Gene Lucas, the man is a geneticist for bettas and has bred some of the varieties we have today, he is a regular columnist for FAMA magazine, you can also send him questions through that publictation.
Source(s):

20 + years experience
BeginnerBreeder Winnipeg Aquarium Society (Including Bettas)
Intermediate Horticulturalist Winnipeg Aquarium Society
Former Member Canadian Rift Lake Cichlid Association
Former Member International Betta Congress
Old 05-01-2009, 05:33 AM   #35 

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haeclark View Post
Blue's tail damage was majority from fin rot...as said in prior post.
Red has never "shredded" Blue, nor has the new females that have been in there for near 2 weeks. Only tail pecking witnessed was during mating, and a nip or two when the peaking order of the 3 new females being introduced was established...non being life threatening or they would not be together now.

To see what I mean, I posted a video + pic of Blue in his 10 gal tank before I got Red, showing his first/ bad case of fin rot that he was still recovering when Red was introduced...Ill restat that they did in fact have a divider at first, for nearly 2 weeks. Reason I removed it: they wanted to be together! 3 days in a row after 2 weeks of the divider they would hop the divider to be with each other...no signs of aggression or wounds]
Blue fin rot video
Blue finrot pic [I had never dealt with it before when took video, so was a bit unsure at time...luckily cause was determined, and after a few attempts, found a water combination that didnt result in fin rot]

People can believe what they want, and what they do with their fish is their own buisness...I know my Bettas are fine together, therefor when people state that all Bettas cannot live together it's just asking for someone like me to replie to counter your statment, proving you wronge.

I like to go to Betta Talk oftin for majority of my Betta information. It is run by a Betta owner / breeder that has many years of experience [quite the list actually] and even had been approached by names such as Animal Planet for Betta info / documentaries or interviews / videos.

I think those who disagree with pairing Bettas needs to read the info in this link: original link
(Chicklet, you should find this interesting with your failed combined Betta sex tank:
perhaps you should look into these types / species of Bettas!)

The 3 main things I'd like to end this post with and thought people should read was:
-Peace definatly in my tank...pecking order established!
-Blue and Red showed signs of this today during water change, when removed into their own bowls, seperated from each other and main tank while water temp warming.
Like you say,"don't believe everything you read" The fact that there are exceptions to the rule ,or the norm, Is not an indication that these fish , Male/females can be expected to coexist peacefully with the POSSIBLE exception of placing them in a large tank. Even then, careful observation should be practiced to ensure that fish are not damaged. One or two ,or even a dozen, success stories does not represent the majority. Read up on the Chinese Algae eater for example,, This is not a very good algae eater,It ain't from China, and as they mature,,,they more often as not become agressive to tankmates. Yet people still buy them to help control algae. All they are really good at is..terrorizing other fish in the tank. Most expierienced aquarists wouldn't have one of these fish ,and it is possible that this fish at six inches,,,Was responsible for the shredded fins on Betta .
To all of those who keep bettas,, Keep em separated. Expieriment if you like,but Don't expect to be the exception to the norm. There is a reason that these fish are not kept together in fish store tanks.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #36 
Haeclark

lol, I never said [or meant] otherwise to most of your comment 1077...and actually agree with you about most of it. If you read earlier posts I made, you'd have seen that I agree about the large tank, ect.
Im stating that I too have Betta's that seem to be of the exception.
My CAE dosent bother the fish, I have watched them many times...and as you can see, have a tendecy of staying up very late hours myself. Possibly because he also gets some fallen blood worms, as other things for his diet.
You're about 6 months too late for the lecture abotu the CAE, though, as I looked into my fish info as much as possible upon recieving them from my boss [minus the guppies that I briefly read about to learn about live birthing, ect].

"All they are really good at is..terrorizing..."
lol, "terrorizing?" Yes. My fish? From what I have seen...the only thing he terrorises are my plants, which he loves to "break up" from the rocks, or move my river rock setup to fully clean it. Thus the reason the word "caesura" is my CAE's name ;D [pattern simular as well, repeated]
The closest I have seen him "bully" my fish at all are the guppies when they try to hord his algae tablets, etc from him, and all he dose is swim over it, then swim side to side about 3-4 times.

I laughed at your last sentence, for more then one reason! xD ;D :D
Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #37 
dramaqueen
Banned

There may be a few "exceptions" but 'm not taking any chances with mine. They'll stay separated and live peaceful lives, not terrorized by other fish.The reason Faith has had success is that she's had years of experience. I have also read where she says "do not try this at home".
Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #38 
dramaqueen
Banned

Faith also says in her Housing section to "never put a female with a male. Only when you spawn them should they both be in the same tank and even still, remember to read my section on breeding your bettas to learn how to prevent the male from killing his mate or the female from giving your male a nasty buzz cut. "
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #39 
Haeclark

DQ- Good! then don't! Never said you should. Your wasting your time. Just saying that is CAN be done...you continually repeating yourself means your obviously are missing my point if you keep replying saying "you'd never do that!"

As far as Faith's site...of course I saw the housing section as I have been at every page in that site...use it allot for reference, since her's is allot more accurate then people I have found here.

DUH! Of coarse she wouldn't tell just anyone its ok to add males and females together, that would be a bit irresponsible, and she doesnt even say to do that with females...she states:
Quote:
You can take your chances and you may be lucky but if you do, remember to keep a very close eye on your gals as you might have to separate them, jar them, or pull a bully out. Remember the pecking order has to be established, so a little bit of picking at first is normal, but if it doesn't stop soon, or if there is too much fin damage, then you will have to remove any trouble maker. If bettas continually pick on each other, the stress it causes will make them sick.
I have already done this, know the signs of an uncomfortable Betta, and can see that mine are fine at this point. They have already established their pecking order, and home is large and equipped enough that they each have their own space.
The "(Please do NOT try this at home! :) )." was referring to her having 40+ Bettas living together...if anyone came close to breaking that rule, it would be Chicklet!
I only have 5 Bettas together, 2 in wich have been together for nearly 5 months, and become depressed when seperated. So you want to talk about making them not happy? I think depression is worse!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #40 
dramaqueen
Banned

Faith also states that "some strains are more peaceful and can sometimes be kept in groups." So not ALL strains can be housed together. I find it amusing that you left this out and that you left out the part saying "do not try this at home."