Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #1 
Deanna01

Bubble nest questions

Hi, all. I finally set up a spawn tank for Courtland (my avatar male) and my DT green girl. I put in both a piece of bubble wrap and an Indian Almond Leaf, because I didn't know what Courtland might prefer.

As it turns out, he's made his nest mostly under the almond leaf, but extending (or escaping, I'm not sure) to under part of the bubble wrap too (they touch).

Should I cut off the portion of the bubble wrap under which he doesn't have his nest? I'm wondering if it will confuse the female.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #2 
Riverotter

No, don't worry about it. When he picks up the eggs he'll know where to put them.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #3 
Myates

^ I usually put an IAL leaf on top of bubblewrap for my males. They don't really need it, but sometimes it helps :) But agree, just leave it be.. once you remove the father after the fry are free swimming, you can remove the bubblewrap (leave the leaf in).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #4 
Deanna01

Thank you both.

This is hard to watch! He keeps chasing her off when she gets near the bubble nest, and he has struck her hard several times. She is now hanging in some java moss with her mouth out of the water breathing hard. :-/ Is this normal, or should I separate them?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #5 
Myates

Normal.. a lot of males (and sometimes females) will be aggressive right up until they start to breed.. a lot of times the males need to "beat" the females into submission to breed with them. Has he shown any interest in her, such as going up to her and swimming around her, showing her his fins?

Right now keep an eye on them, let them do their thing.. it can take days for them to breed. Expect nips to fins, scales missing.. common and normal. But if EVERY TIME he sees her he tries to fight her (not just chase her) then you may want to put her in a cup/chimney in the tank near the nest so she is safe, he can work on the nest with her watching and he can start associating her with breeding, etc.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #6 
Deanna01

Yeah, he has done that. The strikes just alarmed me (and her, it seemed). I will keep an eye on them. It is just hard to watch her get beat up and seem frightened!
Old 07-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #7 
Deanna01

Well, they seem to be making progress. She is at least going toward him now and again, though she runs off when he approaches her. Here they are contemplating each other in the spawn tank.
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #8 
Deanna01

LOL. Well, she is finally acting ready, but she is waiting under the bubble wrap, while he seems to want her under the IAL where the main part of his nest is. I guess I confused them by offering them both. :-/ We'll see how it goes!
Old 07-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #9 
Myates

lol They will figure it out.. good luck!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #10 
Deanna01

Sigh. So now the IAL that had his bubble nest in it has sunk, because they're taking so long, and it destroyed his bubble nest in the process.

He still has bubbles absolutely everywhere, so I'll give them a while.