Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #1 
AbbeyB94

Betta fish freaking out?!?! HELP

So I got my Betta about 3 months ago. Yesterday I was checking on him, he saw me and he freaked out and swam around his tank really fast. Later my mom went to make sure he was okay and he did the same thing to her and again late last night when I was feeding him. He ate but after he just started spazzing again. The even weirder part is that after he freaks out he just goes into the corner of his tank and rests on the rocks and barely moves. I went to the pet store and they said that he was probably just scared of me but he's never done this before. He has a heated tank with a plant to hide behind/rest. I moved him about 2 weeks ago but he was fine until yesterday. I really need too clean his tank but I'm afraid to move him. Has this happened to any of you before, any ideas what could be wrong?
AbbeyB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #2 
countyrd419

I would do a water change and then add Stress Coat water treatment sold by API which is sold at PetSmart or any other store nearby where you live. He might be still getting used to his new home. The Stress Coat treatment should calm him down just a bit. I hope this helps you out. I do know that PetSamrt is open on July 4th only until 6 PM.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #3 
charislynne

my betta sometimes does but not all the time. i'm not an expert but maybe your little fish is fine. but i am not sure so look into it more.
charislynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #4 
AbbeyB94

Okay but how do I do a water change when he freaks out every time I get to close?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #5 
Viva

You just need to net him or quickly scoop him up with a cup...you can lower the water level to make it easier and take all the decorations out first. It just sounds like he is stressed from something...could be a new decoration/filter/etc. I had a filter in my smaller 5.5 gallon tank I used to have and the betta got very stressed and was acting scared like yours. She turned pale and had stress stripes. I did a water change and nothing happened. I then baffled the filter which was creating a pretty strong current and she instantly felt comfortable and was fine.

Last edited by Viva; 07-04-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #6 
countyrd419

Try to feed him a pellet and then as he is eating; quickly scoop him up with a cup.
I had to do this with Rusty during his 100% water change. Sometimes our pets are so finicky -- you have to outsmart them at times. It just shows that our betta fishes do have a mind of their own. We love them no matter what.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

This has been my experience. Do 100% water changes every other day for a while. They will act like that when nitrIte gets high. It takes several days to recover. If you don't want the hassle of changing the larger tank out every other day put him in something small so you can so daily water changes.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #8 
sainthogan

If you have a large enough tank, you don't have to take him out to do frequent water changes. You can siphon out the amount of water you want to change, suck out the yucky stuff at the bottom and then add in new water.
My female did that for a while, but she her tank had been knocked accidentally into several times very hard one day. She was skiddish for weeks, but now she's fine. So it's possible that something spooked him and now he associates people with whatever scared him. If that's the case, he may need a few weeks to get over it.
But test your water parameters, etc. just in case something else is going on.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #9 
Viva

I agree, it could be your water parameters. Is the tank cycled? If it is currently cycling it could be high nitrite/nitrates.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #10 
AbbeyB94

The tank has been cycled...I've had him for 3 months and the tank was cycled at the beginning. I'm not sure if he hurt himself or if he's sick because he isn't moving a lot and seems to be having a difficult time swimming. He isn't t freaking out as much but it is still happening a bit. I did a 100% water change yesterday. He's not eating either. At this point I have absolutely no idea what's wrong and it doesn't seem like anyone else I've talked to knows either :(