Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #1 
Deeana Mill

Question Difference in bubble patterns?

I am a newbie Betta owner. I have two red Bettas, kept in separate 1 1/2 gallon bowls that sit right next to each other. (And yes, I am considering getting a divided aquarium set for the long term.)

Anyway, from reading, it is my understanding that when the male Betta is building a bubble nest it means they are happy and well adjusted. Can anyone tell me why the bubbles look so different between the two fish?

Fish #1 - Fire Boy - builds a fairly good sized bubble nest consisting of teeny tiny little bubbles.

Fish #2- Mr. Fishey - Has not yet built a "nest", but there are a combination of the teeny tiny little bubbles all around the water's edge, plus a goodly amount of much larger bubbles (almost the size of a small pencil eraser) interspersed both along the edges of the water and across the top of the water surface.

Anyone know what this means?
Deeana Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Bubblenests don't mean they're happy or healthy, (I wish that were true, tho) it's actually a sign of being ready to breed and protecting territory. It's out of instinct. The difference seems to be #2 didn't make a nest. Do the bubbles look like they're spread out? That's just a side effect from breathing from the surface. Once they breath in some air, they expel some and they form as little or big bubbles on the surface; that's why they're all spread out. [:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote