Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 PM   #1 
Nataku

Extra long pectoral fins on a betta?

So my mate came to me today with this cup, and low and behold he had a betta in it! I asked him if he was finally taking an interest in fish (since he has so far not been terribly enthused about my fish keeping tendencies, I have thus far been dubbed 'a crazy fish-wench' xD;) and he said yes! I am happy to see he is taking an interest in it himself.

Alas, interest and knowledge are not the same. He found this betta at Wal-mart and brought him to me, all proud that he'd got himself a fish too. ....although he had no idea what he was going to do with the betta now. I agreed to set up a quarantine tank for the fish, figuring the poor thing was probably going to be ridden with parasites considering where it came from. Strangely enough, I didn't see anything on the visual inspection to indicate any illness, just that his pectoral fins were different. Unlike my two other bettas, this guys pec fins are long and pointed instead of short and rounded. I've never seen anything like it before! I thought at first he was never going to be able to swim properly with fins that long, but once he was in his quarantine tank and out of the cup, he swam around just like any other betta. Granted with such long fins his paddling movements seem greatly exaggerated, so I'm not sure if he really is swinging his fins around a lot harder to move or if it just looks that way because they're so long.

Does any one know anything about this strange mutation? Is this a common betta trait I've just never seen before? Does anyone else have a fish, or have seen a fish like this? I'd really like to learn all I can about this odd phenomenon.

Here's some pics for you all. I've just never seen another betta with pec finnage like that before.

See how they almost reach all the way down to his tail base?

*wiggle wiggle wiggle* He moves them around so fast when he swims. All flared out to his side like that it's really strange, they almost look like wings.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

That IS wieird, almost like long hair! He's a very pretty fish. Cute pics.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #3 
Nataku

Yeah it does make him really handsome looking, but I don't know if its really good for him, or if this is going to make him permanently disabled. Should I get a handicapped sticker for his tank? xD
So strange, I don't know what to make of it.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:25 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think it will hurt him in any way, he'll just swim a little slower, I guess.lol Poor little guy. He's a cutie.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #5 
Nataku

Today he has been quite active, doing circles around the tank, which I'm taking as a good sign. Took him a few minutes to figure pellets out, he spent several minutes flaring at one as he swam circles around it before finally trying to eat it. After that he caught onto the idea pretty quick xD

Does anyone else have any information in this odd mutation type? I wasn't able to find much about it when I searched online, just that all the other bettas that seem to have this mutation are also red VTs.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thats an interesting bit of info, that the ones that have this are red vts. I'm glad he's doing well and eating.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #7 
Nataku

Yeah I was able to find two other threads on other fish sites that mention bettas with long pectoral fins like this, both mention they were red VTs, although I couldn't really garner much else out of them, couldn't find any posts about WHY or HOW they end up with this. Also, the only other pictures I could find of another betta with elongated pecs was of a red VT. It makes me suspicious that whatever gene causes this mutation may also be paired with red coloring.

...although red is a dominant gene in bettas. The VT tail type is also dominant, so this is alas not narrowing the list all that terribly much genetically.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I never see really bright red bettas at my Petsmart. The ones closest to red are usually more of a rusty red than bright red.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #9 
Nataku

My petsmart rarely has any clean red bettas, they're normally more of the typical red-blue mutts. Its disappointing really, red is one of my favorite colors.
Strangely enough though, this guy was from a Wal-mart, not a Petsmart. I wonder what breeder(s) wal-mart gets its bettas from, and whether or not they have figured out how to do this on purpose, or if it's just a genetic abnormality because the betta lines they are breeding are so inbred (inbreeding is actually pretty common from what I understand of betta breeding, as they will often breed siblings together who share traits to better ensure that a particular trait will be present in the fry).
Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

They probably throw them all together and let them breed. I have seen some UGLY bettas at Petsmart. They are like a muddy brownish, greenish color.Maybe they look better after they are put in clean, warm water and given a healthy diet. Yeah, there ARE breeders that inbreed a lot.

Tags
betta pectoral fins long