Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #1 
HuntFishRepeat

Unhappy Worried about fins

Howdy!

I am probably starting to sound like a worried parent, but I have more questions! There is probably nothing wrong with him. But I need some second opinions!

I have had Popcorn for 2 weeks now. I adopted him off of Craigslist. I have no idea how old he is (previous owner said he had the fish for 1 month). When I got him I never really looked at his fins, however, after seeing other pictures of bettas I decided there might be something wrong with Popcorn's fins! I recently switched up his diet to NLS and he seems way more active!

He acts very healthy and today finally started noticing his 4 ghost shrimp tank mates!

Any thoughts on his fins though?? I have not seen him biting his tail...

I have attached a picture of him about 1 week after I got him. And the last picture is this evening when he was checking out Mama (ghost shrimp). He has gotten even more curious!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Y
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 ghost shrimp (docile)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Betta
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times (3-4 pellets each feeding)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every few days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Yes, but I forgot to write down parameters. Everything tested fine.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a slight rip in his tail
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No, still very active
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I added some Aq salt to help relieve possible parasites.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1-1.5 years?
Attached Images

HuntFishRepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:31 AM   #2 
Npinja

I know this is a stupid question but what do you feed your ghost shrimp? And that looks like a case of fin biting to me. If it was fin rot, the edges of the fins would be black. I actually don't no how to cure tail biting since I have never treated it before. Sorry if I couldn't help. :(
Npinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #3 
HuntFishRepeat

Not a stupid question at all! I wondered what to feed them as well. I honestly don't feed them specifically and let them pick up dropped NLS pellets. They seem to be doing fine and are molting accordingly. Sometimes I will crush up bits of food and let it sink. All the shrimp are so smart and immediately find the dropped pieces. One even swims up when she knows I'm feeding Popcorn his breakfast.

And yes, I am beginning to suspect tail biting. Though I have upgraded his 1 gallon to a 5.5 gallon! He also has very fun toys and I move them around .
Old 03-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Lovely fish with a tail-biting habit. There's no one for-sure cure. Try getting more plants in there, especially floating plants (like Anubias) that provide shade and a place to hide and sleep.

Keeping the water clean and warm is the best treatment for nipped fins.

You might consider IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) to tint/darken the water. I's also anti-bacterial and stress-relieving.

Last edited by Hallyx; 03-23-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #5 
sainthogan

Just an FYI. There have been cases of ghost shrimp latching on to Betta tails, biting and tearing them. People on this forum have taken pictures of their ghost shrimp doing this. So this could be a case of your fish biting, or your ghost shrimp doing it.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #6 
HuntFishRepeat

Thank y'all for the advice! This morning I did catch one of the ghost shrimp fighting over the food. She looked like she was grabbing onto the fins. But I think there was a piece of food nearby.

I just added an anubias, it needs to grow in. I feel like the tank is already pretty crowded. He has plenty of spots to hide and get away from the shrimp.

Argh, I don't want it to be a ghost shrimp problem. I'll have to continue to monitor.

And I do not not want to get IAL, which brand of the Rooibos tea should I get?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #7 
Npinja

I am planning to get 2 ghost shrimp but I currently don't have any food that sinks to the bottom. What should I feed them?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #8 
Npinja

I have a 2.5 gallon heated and filtered tank with one small plant and one betta log in it if that helps.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:57 AM   #9 
HuntFishRepeat

Slightly crush a couple of betta pellets and let them sink. The shrimp find them to eat.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Any brand Rooibos without flavorings or added anything. It's not really a tea, you know. It's a legume, so no caffeine (I have it on good authority). Grows in South Africa.

And it's delicious with a drop of maple syrup.

Oh, knock off the salt. It doesn't help that much compared to clean, warm water and good food. It's just not good for freshwater fish, nor shrimp, nor plants.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote