Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #11 
Nataku

When I go betta hunting I always make sure to take a small flashlight (a penlight works great if you have one) so that I can shine it on the bettas in the cups to get a better look at them. Some stores like PetCo always keep their bettas in blue water that really distorts their colors, but a good bright light helps clear up some consfusion. Even on bettas in clear water cups I find this to be a great help, as they often end up looking quite different under some real light. It's turned a few rather ugly looking bettas into some rather nice lookers xD

The murky greens and browns are closer to a wild betta's natural color, as they weren't always fully irridescent blues and reds, but really, unless one is looking at a wild caught fish or a plakat that's breed for fighting or is only a generation or two removed from the wild, they could at least try to breed some cleaner lines.
I don't think inbreeding is totally bad in bettas, since we would never have developed all the different tail types like Crowntails and Halfmoons, or special color varients like dragons and butterflies if it hadn't been for linebreeding and inbreeding. It's just when it becomes excessive to the point of mutations that harm the betta's ability to function and live that it needs to stop.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

When I first got my female, she was kind of a pearly color and after a couple of days, she turned pink! She's very pretty, pink with maroon trim on her fins. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #13 
Kim

I've seen those pectoral fins in some posts on another forum. I've also seen a couple in real life and debated taking them home because it's very interesting looking. Maybe a recessive trait linked to the red color in VT's? All my bettas change color when I bring them home and put them in warm, clean water :)
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #14 
Nataku

I haven't noticed much of a color change yet in the three I'm now caring for. My first rescue betta is still a red/blue washed mutt, the only thing that's change color wise is the losses of white patches, but that was a bacterial infection, so that should hardly count xD The black super delta is still black, he's just more feisty now. And this new red VT guy, well, its only been what, two days? He's certainly getting perkier, he swims around like the other two, the longer fins don't really seem to be inhibiting him.

And he built a bubble nest this morning! It was a pleasant surprise to find it in his quarantine tank when I came to turn his light on this morning. I guess he's adapting well, that was certainly faster than my black super delta, he still hasn't built a bubble nest.

I am considering looking for another one of these strange little guys myself, as this guy is my mate's and will be going back to his house after his quarantine time is over. I wouldn't mind adding one to my own group though, as I really love watching how he swims around compared to other bettas. I've noticed when he slows down and is just lazing about, he tends to tuck his pectoral fins back along his sides and use his whole body in a snake like side-to-side slithering/swimming motion to move. I haven't seen any of the other betta boys do that yet.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's probably had to make some adjustments in his swimming to accommodate the long pecs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #16 
Livelifelaughlove

My little betta usually doesn't use his perctoral fins, rather he wiggles his butt. Its really funn to watch, but seems to be doing ok. Usually its just when he is watching his food move in the current though
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #17 
bentley10

long fins

Yes!! my betta is exactly like that! He has such long fins that are long and flowing. Recently, he has been acting strangely and really seems to fight to keep balanced with his extremely long fins. He points diagonally when he swims in the current because his fins are so long. Have you been experiencing any problems like that?
bentley10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #18 
PewPewPew

Bently, please do not "reawaken" dead and old threads. This thread is from 2009.
If you have a question, please ask the forum, but do not reply to old threads like this. Old, resolved posts clog up the forum which disable people who need thier new issues resolved from getting help.
:)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #19 
jgomez132

My Betta fish has REALLY long pec fins like that only he's blue. I didn't know it wasn't common. :o haha but anyway, he's awesome and swims perfectly fine. his fins are really neat! haha
jgomez132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #20 
brikbl

Those are very unique~!
brikbl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta pectoral fins long