Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #1 
Lindsaypez

Temperature is too hot...

My betta's tank temperature is reading 83 degrees and it's been like this the past few days. There's nothing I can do, it's just hot here. :( There's no way to cool water off. We don't have AC in the house.

I believe he has fin rot and/or is biting his fins because they are starting to be very tattered. He's still eating, very active and acting like himself.

Do I just need to hope for the best? I can't think of anything I can do since it's so hot (I'm not liking the heat either!!).

He's in a 3 gallon tank and I had the water tested at Pet Co., they said his water is very good so I know the water conditions aren't the problem. It's just this heat! :(

This poor fish has been through such an ordeal! He suffered swim bladder issues and he didn't eat when I first got him. Then he got 100% better. He hasn't had any swim bladder issues in a long time and he's eating perfectly. But now it's just too hot! :( I feel like a horrible fish owner.

I always had bettas as a kid and I took mediocre care of them since I didn't know better. But they lived for years and had zero health problems! I don't understand why I'm having all these problems now that I'm taking perfect care of my fish. I've had 3 over the past 3 years and they all lived very short life spans and had illnesses. It doesn't make sense that I had healthy fish when I didn't care properly for them! They lived in small tanks that I barely did any water changes on, they had no heaters and the house temperatures would reach 60 degrees. A lot of the times as a kid I would forget to feed them. WHY did they live for me when I took such horrible care for them?! I'm wondering if it's because as a kid we got my fish at a special pet store that took awesome care of it's fish/animals and I've just been getting my bettas at pet co in recent years. There aren't any more nice fish stores left around here because Pet Co killed them all! So annoying.
Lindsaypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

83 is not that warm for a betta. I would not attribute any issues to the increase in temp. If it gets to 86 I would start getting concerned about it getting any higher. However, I'm sure that they can withstand warmer for short periods of time.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #3 
Lindsaypez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
83 is not that warm for a betta. I would not attribute any issues to the increase in temp. If it gets to 86 I would start getting concerned about it getting any higher. However, I'm sure that they can withstand warmer for short periods of time.

Sent from Petguide.com App
What a relief! Thanks. I guess I have more detective work to do to figure out why he's having this tail issue.
Lindsaypez is offline   Reply With Quote