Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #11 
ismintis

Once you get the heater and stress coat I would take Kiwi out of the tank and put him in the container you got him in. Then you should do a 100% water change in the 1 gallon tank and add the heater and stress coat. Acclimate and release him into the tank with the medication. It will stress him a little but being in a clean tank with the stress coat should help. Since he made it through the night he has a fighting chance!
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #12 
safisher

That is a GREAT idea!!! I will do that first thing in the morning!!! We need to do that anyway because I ccan still see bits and pieces of his fins and what once was his beautiful opalescent tail laying on the bottom of his tank. I told my husband I was reluctant to do anything right away, because I didn't want to push the poor little guy over the edge, but I am worried about him getting an infection from the stuff still floating around in the tank. He should be settled enough to handle a tank change later today. I got him to eat one pellet of Betta food and he's been swimming a little bit between naps, so I'm hoping he'll pull through!!!
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #13 
safisher

Thank you, all, for your posts! You've been extremely kind and helpful!! Barring anything unforeseen, I think Kiwi will be okay! He ate one pellet of Betta fish food yesterday but no more than that. This morning, he ate 5pellets of food. We never feed him more than 5 pellets at one time and we only feed him twice a day....usually. Since his "incident" we're trying to take things slowly, so we don't stress him out.

I have another question.... and it sounds really stupid..... so I don't care if y'all laugh. A short while after Kiwi ate his food, we noticed a brown, roundish lump hanging from beneath him. He looked fine, and doesn't act distressed so I'm assuming he's pooping. I've never seen him poop, however, so I really don't know for sure. I took a photo, but don't know how to attach it to this thread. (I know.... TMI....)
Old 07-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #14 
ismintis

I'm 95% sure that is just poop xD I wouldn't worry about it because he was probably so stressed out recently he hasn't pooped since before he got stuck. I would also say that its a good sign that he is pooping because he has relaxed enough to relieve himself. I hope this helps!
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #15 
safisher

before and after photos

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]Here's Kiwi before the incident:
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #16 
safisher

And after:
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #17 
Kittiesdragons

I'm glad to hear that Kiwi is doing better! BTW I have that exact purple plant in Chance's tank! LOL
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #18 
meinsk

Boy, he sure did lose a chunk of his tail! How's he doing?
meinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #19 
safisher

Kiwi is doing so much better, thank you for asking!!!! I think his tail is beginning to grow back, as well, although it may be my imagination! We were EXTREMELY lucky, particularly after I read similar posts with TRAGIC endings! (SO SAD!!!)

I NEVER thought I would get so attached to a fish....but when he darts to the edge of the bowl to see who has walked into the kitchen and hangs around, looking at you when you talk to him, it's hard not to!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #20 
safisher

He is doing so much better, thank you for asking! When I read about similar situations that had TRAGIC endings, I am so thankful that he pulled through!

It may be my imagination, but I think his tail is beginning to grow back! His bruises are pretty much gone and it looks like the one side fin that looked like it had been "trimmed" is also growing back. The top and bottom scales that were worn off during the ordeal have healed up. (I don't know if they will replace themselves or not...but they are not so "raw" looking any more.

I never thought I would get so attached to a fish, but when he darts to the edge of the bowl, every time someone walks into the kitchen and just hovers there while you talk to him (sort of like a humming bird) you can't help but NOT fall in love with this little guy!

We replaced his former castle with a pink ceramic "flower ball" with LARGE openings that he can EASILY swim through! He didn't like the new ornaments at first (we got a fuscia plant to go with the purple one) but after a couple of days, we found him "snoozing" in there. It was really cute!!!

Last edited by safisher; 07-18-2013 at 07:32 PM.